XXVII.

As I struggle to free myself from Romina’s grip, exerting all my strength, Jackson steps in just in time to protect me. With swift and decisive action, he firmly grabs Romina’s arms, bringing her assault to an abrupt halt. The force behind his actions pushes her away, causing her to stumble back, nearly losing her footing.

“What the fuck do you think you are doing, Romina?” Jackson questions her angrily, his voice resonating with authority. The intensity of his words reflects his anger at her unwarranted attack.

Glancing around, I notice that a small crowd has gathered, their eyes fixated on the unfolding scene. Some onlookers have even taken out their phones, capturing the moment on video.

Romina gazes at Jackson with a mix of disbelief and hurt, her voice trembling as she responds, “Jack, you pushed me?”

“And I would even slap you if you try to touch her again,” Jackson retorts fiercely, his tone unyielding. “How pathetic can you be to attack her when she has done nothing to you? And for what? Just because I don’t want you?”

Romina attempts to adopt a more tender approach, cooing at Jackson as she walks closer to him, seeking his attention and forgiveness. “Jack, please. I—”

However, Jackson swiftly rejects her advances, his grip tightening as he forcefully pushes her hand away. “Don’t you dare touch me, ever!” he asserts, his voice laced with disdain. Mockingly, he adds, “And don’t tell me you thought harming her would make me want you. Heh! Now, if I ever see you anywhere near me, it will not end well for you. Do you hear me? Now get lost.”

Romina’s hurt is palpable as tears stream down her face. She looks at Jackson with a mixture of pain and longing, but her hopes are shattered by his harsh words and actions. With a final, hurtful glare, she turns her gaze towards me, her voice filled with jealousy and resentment, as she screams with all her might, “You think you’ve won, huh? You think you’ve won just because you got Jack? We’ll see how long it lasts. I will make you pay for humiliating me, I swear to you.”

With those words hanging in the air, Romina breaks away from the crowd, pushing through the onlookers, and disappears into the sea of people, tears streaming down her face.

With Romina gone, Jackson turns his attention towards me, genuine concern etched on his face. “Are you okay, Laila?”

Instead of responding, I pivot away from him, my eyes focused on the ground as I begin walking. Pushing through the dispersing crowd, my determination to escape this chaotic situation propels me forward. I don't care about my destination; I simply want to distance myself from the scene.

“Laila!” Jackson’s voice calls out from behind me, his urgency evident. But I refuse to acknowledge him, maintaining my brisk pace.

“Laila!” he calls again, his voice growing more insistent. I quicken my steps, eager to put more distance between us.

However, my attempts to escape are abruptly halted when I feel Jackson's firm grip on my arm, halting my progress. “Laila, wait!”

Reluctantly, I turn to face him, my expression blank as I respond in a detached tone, “What? What do you want, Jackson?”

Perceiving the snappiness in my voice, Jackson’s confusion is evident as he tries to understand my emotions. “Are you mad at me?”

I meet his gaze, my eyes filled with a mix of frustration and confusion. “I don’t know, do I have a reason to be mad at you?”

“Laila, look—” he begins, attempting to explain.

“Why did you do that to her?” I interrupt, my voice tinged with disappointment.