3

*Drawing of Anna by: avengers_zsra

Arriving at the training camp seemed to make everything a thousand times more real. The camp came into view from the bus windows. It was huge, and not really what I expected. But I figured, that I shouldn't be expecting anything from this point on.

It seemed like we were out in the middle of nowhere. We had to be about thirty minutes from a town. Once we got off the train in Richmond, Virginia we took buses about forty-five minutes out of Richmond. The camp seemed to spread acres in size. I'm sure there were buildings in the forest to the right of the camp that I couldn't see. The wooden barracks had a round roof, and were very long, they stood out in numbers. There were a few more steady brick buildings concentrated in the middle of the camp. Everything seemed in order and every building seemed to be carefully placed. On the outside the of the fences the first thing you would see is the flag.

"This is quite big" Peggy noted in a hushed voice. We both were crammed against the bus window trying to take in everything.

"You're telling me."

Once off the buses with our bags, we were filtered through registration. The lines were long since buses seemed to keep unloading men from all over the country here. I stood next to Peggy in line. I stood there quietly, not sure what to even talk about. All around us the sound of men's voices filled the air. They were joking, some laughing, boasting, doing whatever they needed to do in order to fit in and find friends. All of this was very overwhelming. It felt like this moment was going to swallow me whole. And I had a feeling that I wasn't the only one feeling overwhelmed and nervous.

Finally we were through the line and told to go to our room. We walked through the camp past the barracks filled with soldiers. Our room was nestled in the building filled with the top commanding officers here. We were warned that we would be sharing a room with two other ladies. I hoped they were friendly and we would all become good friends.

"Room 701, this is us." I told Peggy before carefully knocking on the wooden door. The door swung open and the woman in front of me had the happiest smile I had seen in a really long time.

"Come in, come in! My name is Scarlet and this is Patricia." She exclaimed shaking both of our hands. She looked like a gentle soul. She was beautiful, with her platinum blonde hair and classic complexion. She looked like a model honestly, with high cheeks bones and plump lips. She was wearing the same fierce red lips as Peggy was, both of them could pull it off.

The other woman in the room didn't have the beach body as Scarlet, or the gentleness. She had dark auburn hair that was sleek and stylish pulled back into a low bun. She seemed like the type of woman to know exactly what she wanted, when she wanted it, and how she wanted it. She looked strong, powerful. She had curves like Peggy but I was sure they were all muscle.

"I'm Anna, and this is Peggy."

"Peggy, is that a nickname for anything?" Patricia asked trying to make small talk.