5

It was the night before the experiment, or to be precise it was the day of the experiment. It was ten minutes till one. We were moving Erskine at 1:47, we were taking him to New York to a secure location until morning. I was up and dressed in my uniform when I sneaked into Steve's room. He was lucky enough to have his own bunker for the night. They wanted him to get a good night's rest and to feel comfortable. I don't know how they thought anyone would be able to sleep before being subjected to this experiment. I wasn't even the subject, and yet I was nervous. I felt the anxious type of nervousness. I felt the drips of adrenaline throughout my body speeding up my heart rate every time I thought of the experiment.

I knew Steve would be up, because Steve as a worrier. Steve could worry with the best of them. He usually worried about everyone except for himself. I had a feeling he was up sitting on his bed with a oil light next to him sketching something or another. He had always found sketching to be relaxing and a good way to keep his mind off of something, it was his therapy.

"Steve?" I whispered opening the door of the bunker.

"Yeah?" He answered back weakly. He sat up a bit more when he saw me. And sure enough I was right, his sketch book is balanced on his leg and an oil lamp is placed right besides his bed.

"I just wanted to see you before I left."

"Why are you leaving so early?"

"Well, we're moving Dr. Erskine earlier, it's best if everyone comes in and leaves at different measurable times." Steve nodded understandingly, but he was quiet and looked down at his sketch book. He has drawn the skyline of Brooklyn, our home.

"How are you feeling?" I asked sitting at the end of his bed.

"Nervous, really nervous actually. I don't even know what to expect." He told me, he looked relaxed on the outside. Steve always seemed calm and controlled, even in the worse situations. I think it's a gift.

"I'm nervous too, I can't imagine how nervous you are if I feel awful. But everything will go fine. I know it, Dr. Erskine feels really good about this. I trust Erskine enough to know that if there was a chance of hurting you, he wouldn't go through with this experiment. You must be tired. Try to get some sleep."

"God, Anna there's no way I can do that." He looked over at me with his stupid puppy dog eyes that I hate. I couldn't quite pick up what he was feeling right now. He seemed glum but not quite sad. He just seemed melancholy.

"Look you have to be up at seven, it's about one o'clock. Here lay down on your back or how ever you want to." I told him getting up from his bed. As I blew out the oil lamp, I noticed the books at the end of his bed on his trunk. Blackness entered the room like an old friend.

"You brought my books with you,"

"You keep giving me recommendations and I'm trying to keep up." I could barely see Steve's outline, the only light was from outside which floated through the windows in the bunker. Steve looked over at me, the light catching his eyes making them lighter than possible.

"Hey, move over," I told him laying down next to him. I really shouldn't have done that because I could have fallen asleep and I had to leave in thirty minutes.

"Hey you said lay down how ever I wanted to, maybe I wanted to take up the whole bed." Steve joked. I laid on my back staring up at the darkness above us. Steve was doing the same.

"I'm trying to help you, you smart ass" I explained adjusting myself on the bed. I heard a low chuckle and a dramatic sigh from Steve. I turned to face him laying on my side.

"Tomorrow you'll be a brand new man. Peggy's going to take you to New York tomorrow."

"Oh, I like Peggy. She's real pretty, and really smart."