10

After a month of being back in Vermont, I decided to work as a waitress in a restaurant a town over. It was a twenty minute walk to work, one that didn't bother me at all, even when it snowed. I had long given up Steve's money to the newly formed Veteran's Assistance office. I did it under his name of course. I just couldn't use the money without feeling guilty. After my shift I'd walk down to the post office and pick up the mail. I don't know why I always walked to the Post Office, I never got any mail. I think I was just starving for consistency and regulation. The ladies at the front desk always seemed so sad to see me come up. I rarely got mail, and it was only from one person too. They pitied me and my loneliness. But somewhere in my loneliness I was finding peace.

"Hello," I greeted politely as I walked into the building. I pulled at the scarf around my neck.

"Hello, Ms. Smith. Here you got a letter today." The woman smiled brightly at me. She was young, probably had children. She seemed liked the motherly kind. Her brown hair was loosely in an old fashioned bun. Her co-worker was the gossip of the town. She loved working at the post office to see who got mail from who.

"I didn't know you had a friend named Patricia," The old gossip commented. She had greying hair, and was unsurprisingly an old maid. Maybe that was why she liked to know everybody's business, she was simply bored at home. She had a different kind of loneliness. I was quite surprised when she said Patricia had written me. I hadn't spoken to her since we left training. I didn't even know how she got my address.

"Well, surprisingly I've got a bit of a life, Ms. Frances." I told her brightly, hopefully in a tone that told her to back off. I walked out of the office and into the cold. I walked for another couple miles until I'm home again. I don't think I'll ever get tired of looking at my home. It's a beautiful white farmhouse, with a lovely wrap around porch. I added green shudders and a green door to make the house stick out some. There are two old grand trees framing the house. I love it when they have snow laying on their branches. I had been working on the inside of the house. I wanted to modernize the kitchen a bit and make the rooms less cramped.

My grandparents hadn't really renovated the house since they built it. The previous owner did little too. So now it was my job to stop the creek in the floors and the leeks in the plumbing. I was fine with renovating the house. It gave me a goal. I unlocked the door and took off my coat and scarf. I quickly started a fire in the fireplace. I warmed myself there and opened Patricia's letter.

Dear Anna,

How are you doing? What's Vermont like? I was so happy to find Peggy's address to write and catch up with her. She gave me yours and I was so excited to write to you! I simply can't believe we're home now! I was supposed to be off to the Pacific front but I got rejected. You'll never believe why! I'm pregnant! Anna, I've faced gun fire, and bombs. I've seen the worst scenes someone could possibly imagine and I've never been more afraid. The father, died. We were going to get married, and he died. He took a bullet in the chest. I'm sorry for dumping this on you, it's not much of a happy letter. My old friends can't relate like you and Peggy will. I'm back in Kentucky, working in a factory. It's not too bad, it doesn't have the same great feeling as being an agent does. It's not nearly as interesting. I missed you and Peggy, and I'm so delighted that I could reach out to you two. I hope we don't loose contact again.

Love,
Patricia Stibbens

I was simply amazed by the letter. Patricia, had gone through hell and back. Now she was alone, and facing a future that she feared. I quickly ran to my kitchen and grabbed a pen and paper. Before I could even think about what I was doing, I invited her to live with me. Four and a half months later she was at my doorstep with her baby girl.