Chapter 40:

Brantley's POV:

The last show was our final one for a couple of weeks. We were coming up on the end of the tour and it was going to be awesome to have some time off. Harley and I were headed down to Louisiana for a week to see her family, then we'd go to Georgia to visit with mine the next week. I wasn't sure how her dad would welcome me this time. The first time we met, he threatened to kill me. Then he shook my hand and grinned. Then he found out that not only was I dating his only daughter, but that she was no longer his innocent little girl either. That went over about as well as can be expected. After the laptop incident, we left pretty quickly. Harley has spoken with him several times since, me... not so much. So this could go either way. I'd either walk down his driveway and shake his hand, or he'd meet me at the door with a bullet. Thinking of the laptop, I exited off the interstate in our rental truck and pulled into the Best Buy parking lot. Harley looked at me funny. "What are we doing here?" She asked curiously. "I put a slug in your daddy's laptop. I'm not showing up without a new one for him." I grinned. She laughed. We got down and headed inside, Harley quickly pointed out the exact kind he had. We got a sales associate to grab one for us and ring us up, and then we were back on the road. About 30 minutes from his house, I started fidgeting. "What's wrong?" Harley asked me. "Nothin." I said simply. "Brantley, what's bothering you?" She asked again. I sighed and glanced at her quickly. "I'm just trying to figure out which way this will go." I told her and chuckled. "What do you mean? My dad likes you." She said. "No baby, your Daddy liked me. Emphasis on the past tense. He liked me until he found out that this big ol redneck was nailing his only daughter. He'll either be ok with that. Or he'll probably shoot me." I explained tugging her across the bench seat so she was next to me. She sighed and snuggled into my side. "I know he's a little rough. But he really is a good guy." Harley said sadly. I chuckled. "Angel I'm not arguing with you, he's a damn good father. Honestly when we have kids I'll probably be the same way. If we have a little girl, and some sumbitch like me comes sniffin around her, I'm liable to kill him." I chuckled. She shook her head giggled. "Wait, when we have kids? Don't you mean if?" She asked. "Nope. When. I want at least two." I grinned and held up two fingers. She laughed and swatted me, smiling wide. We pulled into the driveway and hopped out, Harley grabbed the laptop and I grabbed her free hand. Her dad opened the door just as we approached the steps, his pistol in his hand. "Pops no! What are you doing? No.. No!" Harley started to panic. I grabbed the laptop, and nudged her towards the door, shushing her gently. "Harley go inside." I told her. She shook her head. "Now Harley." I told her a little firmer. She swiped at her eyes and sniffled, I knew she was crying. She went into the house and slammed the door shut. "Further Harley, go sit in the living room." Jakob told her. She screamed something I couldn't understand and sobbed behind the door, thumping it with her fist. We heard her stomp off then Jakob turned to me. I stood my ground. "What the hell is she crying for?" He motioned to the door. I glanced pointedly at the gun in his hand. "That for me?" I asked him. He raised an eyebrow in confusion, glancing at his hand. "Ah hell. I was adjusting the sights, shootin out back when I heard y'all pull up. She thought I was gonna use this on you?" He explained, setting the weapon down and motioning to to wingback chairs on the porch. I nodded. We sat and he turned to me. "You and I need to talk son. Relax, ain't nobody gonna get shot, and ain't nobody gonna fight. We both know you'd whip my ass, and you damn sure ain't intimidated by me boy." I stayed tense in my seat, wondering where this was headed.