Harry

• Посвящена Katie Bradshaw

Chapter 9

Despite the fact that they let Louis go and things seemed to be going better than I expected, I could tell that there was something they weren't telling me. Why did these people have to use everyone I'd ever loved against me? I couldn't stand it. I wanted to just stand up and attack Havener right here, right now, but I couldn't. He had the power to kill me, and Kate, if he found her again, and I wouldn't dare do anything to jeopardize that. 

It wasn't worth it.

Havener just smiled when I'd agreed, an eerie, creepy smile. It sent shivers down my spine to see it. He'd clearly already gotten what he'd wanted out of me: my cooperation. I wasn't going to work with him, and I hadn't planned to. I wouldn't hurt Kate, if it was the last thing I didn't do. But I didn't know how to protect her from something I couldn't fight. These people were smart, and I didn't know anything about survival or protection. I was barely seventeen for Christ's sake. All I knew was that I needed to get out of this hospital bed and go look for her. Wherever God forsaken place she was at. If she needed me, I was going.

I had gotten lost in my thoughts, angry at how this whole situation was turning out. The loud clicking noise of a cuff snapping around my wrist was the only thing that brought me out of my thoughts. My eyes shot from the cuff to Havener's face, and back again in an instant.

"No backing out now," Havener said, almost in a whisper. A disgusting smile pulled at the corners of his mouth until all of his jagged teeth showed. I just glared at him trying to seem menacing, although I doubt that I did being as banged up as I was.

"What is that thing," I growled at him. 

"That, my little devious friend, is a nanite cuff," he laughed, seemingly amused with my attempt at scaring him away from me. "The bracelet monitors what you do, say, and think while it touches your skin. If you try to tamper with it, it will release the nanites into your blood stream, and they will slowly suffocate you from the inside out while they destroy your red blood cells." My heart nearly stopped in my chest out of pure terror. He must've noticed as the heart monitor I was still connected to started ringing loudly, bringing a nurse running into the room.  

"What's going on?" She yelled looking from my face, which was frozen in shock, and Havener who just stared at my reaction, hardly able to contain himself. How disgusting. "Harry, are you okay?" I turned to look at her slowly, not really aware of what I was doing. She came to the bed side and just looked at me, curious and confused.

"He's fine," Havener growled at her. She looked at him frightened, and turned away from me.  "Just a little shocked is all." He finally laughed a horrid cackle at the sight of me, and all the pain he was putting me through. 

"Sir, you need to leave." The nurse, who I recognized as Molly from earlier walked over near him, and gipped his arm tightly. I watched as she escorted him out of the room. He kept glancing back over at me from over his shoulder. I guessed he was checking my reaction, before he finally pulled out his phone and messaged someone. Probably his conspirators, I thought to myself, full of venom. I bet they're checking the cuff's functionality. Want to know what I'm thinking, huh? How about this, assholes. Fuck you. I sat in the bed a few minutes longer before sitting up quickly, undoing the leads to the IVs that were stuck into the back of my hand.

I unlatched one of the bed rails and flopped my feet over the side. They dangled for a moment before I shoved my body off the bed. I stood up, holding still for a moment as I got lightheaded. My blood pressure stabilized, and I righted myself after nearly toppling over. I tried to keep my mind blank. They weren't going to get anything out of me, and I was absolutely determined to make sure of it.