Kate

Chapter 16

The flight seemed to drag on forever. For a good portion of the time after I talked with Harry and the smiles wore off, I glanced nervously out the window watching the dark blue expanse of water widen underneath the plane. I didn’t know why but horrible thoughts of the plane crashing down into the ocean occupied my thoughts, despite the conflicting feelings of safety I felt from being in the air. The flight attendants checked on us periodically until I dismissed them and they headed to bed. I stole small looks at Harry from across the table every now and again as he played Angry Birds on his phone. Every time I glanced back over at him I would start, momentarily not recognizing him without his hair. He looked so much like one of them, and the likeness was terrifying. Images of our pursuers from earlier flashed through my mind. I tried to study them, remembering as much detail as I could.

I would recognize them the next time we came face to face.

I started to formulate a plan of attack for breaking into my father’s company’s laboratory when we landed in New York City. I could picture the building at the Center for Biotechnical Research and Study; its tall, reflective glass rising from the dirty concrete to tower above everything else. Few other buildings were as large and impressive as this one. I’d only been there once, on a business trip with my father when I’d been twelve. I’d spent a good deal of time on the plane listening to him talk about the code that they were creating, although I couldn’t remember much of what he’d said now.

The images of the huge tower stuck in my mind as I remembered getting out of the taxi and seeing it for the first time. I’d walked timidly behind my father, nearly hugging his leg as the building that seemed to touch the grey heavens loomed in front of us. It had had almost a creepy feeling to it; you could feel the bad energy that hung in the air like a mist. It was electric and terrifying all at once, and it had made quite an impression on me.

“Don’t be scared, Kay.” I could still hear the melodic voice of my father play in my head. I smiled slightly at the sound of his voice, but I was then overcome by fresh grief for one who was long dead; my heart hurt to think about him any longer, and I shook it, hoping to get rid of the memories. I glanced around the cabin that was nearing complete darkness; only the running lights along the floorboards shone, casting an eerie orange light around inside. I could still make out the faint outline of Harry’s form as he snored lightly, slumped down on his chair. I was exhausted, but I couldn’t find it in me to go to sleep. The more I’d thought about my father and the terrifying events of today, the more the uneasy feeling in my stomach grew.

Something wasn’t right. I could feel it.

So far the flight had been smooth, and nothing had happened, so what did I have to be afraid of? It couldn’t be the darkness that bothered me; after all, if I did have a light on, what difference would it make? There was nothing to see. I sat in my seat quietly, looking from one end of the plane to the other for nearly an hour. My neck started to hurt, and my legs were getting sore from sitting so long.

I unbuckled my lap belt and slid out of my seat. I stood and stretched, pulling my arms behind my head until the tips of my fingers could reach the bottom edge of my bra through my shirt. I walked the length of the plane, pacing past Harry several times trying to work the kinks out of my muscles. Curious as to where the flight attendants’ quarters were, I glanced around halfheartedly looking for them. Getting bored, I walked into the bathroom and flipped the light on. I gripped on the counter hard until my knuckles went white, pushing the blood away from cuts on the skin, most of which had scabbed over.

I finally got the courage to look myself in the eyes, and I looked up at the reflection in the mirror. It didn’t seem to be me. My brown hair fluttered over the t-shirt, hanging low, and I wished I could put it up. My usually brilliant blue eyes appeared to be sunken back in my head, and tired bags hung deep under my eyes. I really should get some sleep, I thought. I’ll need the rest tomorrow.