Kate

• Dedicated to Katie Bradshaw

Chapter 21

Everything seemed to go into high alert as soon as I’d let those words slip out of my mouth. We’d stopped walking as Harry froze for a moment, and just stared at me, his green eyes wide like a deer in headlights. I thought I was going to have to shake him until he snapped out of his little trance.

“What’s our move?” Harry posed the question as we began to walk again, more quickly this time.

“They did an update on the security when I was here with my father. From what I remember, there are security officers on all sides of the building, when updates are happening and the lab that we need to get into is on the second floor. No traffic is allowed in or out of the lot while the computer license verification systems are being updated for security purposes, but the one vehicle that the security never stops are the armored trucks bringing in shipments of hazardous materials. So all we have to do is get into the truck.” I glanced over at Harry as I finished speaking to see him sending me a how-do-you-expect-to-do-that look. “My father’s company only works with one warehouse in the city, so we just need to take a cab there. Trucks are constantly taking shipments to the lab. Compared to the last twenty-four hours, this will be a piece of cake.”

Harry didn’t respond except to give me a slight nod, and I could immediately tell how worried he was. He didn’t need the words to say that. I picked up the pace even more until we were each jogging toward the gate doors. We were going to need every spare second that we could get in order to make this happen without getting caught. As much as I’d tried to play it off, I was worried about this plan, too. The information that I was using as plain Gospel was several years out of date. For all I knew, everything had changed, and I was leading us both on a mission that would put us in jail for burglary. I was less scared of that possibility than of the thought of getting something wrong when the time came to remove Harry’s cuff. One false move and I would lose the only person that I had left. I couldn’t bare the idea. I tried to push it away, but the images of Harry, tearing at his throat and becoming still and icy burned itself into my memory as if it were etched into stone.

No, I thought to myself. I won’t let that happen. I shook my head silently as I jogged alongside Harry. I tightened my grip on his hand and I cleared my mind of everything except this moment and the dull thudding of our footsteps on concrete. When we finally reached the steps to the gate doors, I climbed them first as Harry trailed close behind me. We walked up the expressway for private flights and came out inside a large, airport terminal. Sunlight filtered in through windows high above our heads, and glinted off the white tile floors. Grabbing ahold of Harry’s hand again, I pulled him along behind me as I made my way toward the automatic doors that constantly slid open and shut within the busy airport. I walked, not wanting to draw attention to Harry or myself, but the slowness of our pace was killing me. I desperately wanted to burst into a sprint and make up for lost time, but I couldn’t risk anyone stopping us to find out what was going on. God forbid they should get tangled up in this gigantic mess with us as well. It was bad enough that this was already happening to us.

Finally stepping outside again, Harry and I were greeted by the blinding sunlight glinting off the tops of bright yellow taxies. I threw my hand in the air and waived it vigorously, with Harry copying me after a moment. A vehicle pulled up along the curb and we quickly got inside.

“Where to?” The driver’s gruff voice sounded through the Plexiglas shield between the front and back seats.

“CBRS warehouse facility,” I said quickly without thinking. The driver glanced up at us in the rearview mirror and flashed me an incredulous look.

“What’re you going there for?” The driver kept his eyes locked on us while Harry and I sat in the upholstered back seat of the car. I felt extremely uncomfortable with this situation. I needed to focus on coming up with a good excuse to make this trip seem believable, but I couldn’t think of anything. Who was this man going to tell about us? I couldn’t think of anything besides the fact that he would make for a prime witness if our plan fell through and we were caught.