Kate

Chapter 14

As we pulled out of the parking lot, I could not have been happier. The timing had been all wrong, but the kiss had been perfect anyway. Part of me was worried that I had just jeopardized our friendship with my abrupt action, but it was worth it. Harry would always be worth it. After all, he was the only thing I really cared about in this world anymore. I couldn’t tell if Harry felt the same way I did. Every time I glanced over at him, his features involuntarily became a hard mask.

Emotionless.

Hiding.

I knew that he was afraid to let the pain of losing Louis in. He was afraid that it would overtake him. He was afraid he was going to lose me, but for as long as I was alive I would always be by his side, and that was a promise that I would go to my grave defending.

Harry backed the car out of the parking stall carefully. Pulling out onto the road again to go to the airport, I just rested my forehead against the window and watched as the world outside passed me by. Finally left alone with my thoughts I felt like I’d made a mistake in making my move. If it had been a better time, maybe I wouldn’t feel so horrible about it, but everything was off. But if I didn’t do it then, when was I supposed to do it? The time would never be right again, and for all I knew, I might not get another chance like that one. I knew deep down that the kiss was all special in its own way, and I hoped desperately that I would get the chance to grow old with Harry, and look back on these moments laughing.

I hoped, but sometimes hope isn’t enough.

People along the street stared at the car as we drove by. I didn’t know why, and I tensed up at the thought of being in the public eye. I realized that maybe things between Harry and I wouldn’t work out. He was a superstar now. There were so many girls that wanted a piece of him, so why would he stay with me? I didn’t think he would, and that scared me. Right when I was starting to doubt everything that I felt, a reassuring hand placed itself in mine. Harry’s hand wrapped around mine, and I couldn’t help feeling better about the situation. I shifted in my seat to where I was facing away from the peculiar stares that I was getting from all the people along the city streets. I faced Harry, watching as he drove with one hand, still focusing on the road. I looked out through the windshield, and I could see the airport just ahead of us. There were only a few more stoplights. Our light turned green, and we started to drive through the intersection.

The next thing I knew, the car felt like it was flying in every direction at once. The tires squealed as we skidded sideways for several feet  before spinning sideways, and flipping through the air. Glass shattered, crashing into my face at a high speed, and causing blood to bubble on the raw skin. The world seemed to move in slow motion, and for a second I opened my eyes to see the world reorienting around me before I smashed them shut again out of pure terror. Metal shrieked, and I felt my body falling around inside the vehicle like a rag doll in a washing machine. My head smashed up against the roof of the car, and somehow over all the outside noise, I could hear a loud cracking sound. I didn't know what it was, but the crunch was sickening. The car rolled over and over; I thought the nightmare was never going to end until Harry's Audi finally came to a stop on its roof. The metal framing of the windows was smashed almost all the way shut, and I felt my stomach churn as I realized that we were trapped.

I heard Harry straining to breathe, and he cried out in pain as he struggled against his seatbelt. I unclicked mine and tumbled an inch or so until my head was resting against the roof again. I dug around in the backseat for something I could use to break open the back windshield with since it was our only viable route for escape. All I found was an ice scraper, which I beat on the already cracked glass with until I had created a hole that was big enough to crawl through. Once I was through the hole, I widened it for Harry, and he crawled through. I looked up just in time to see a large black van with the front end smashed to bits veer away down the road. There was not a single doubt in my mind about who it was.