Harry

• Dedicated to Emily Schonemann

Chapter 11

After Louis left, I wandered through the living room over to the cabinets in the kitchen. I zoned out while I walked until my foot slipped into a puddle of something cold. I immediately lifted my foot, and saw that my sock was dripping wet with milk. God damn it, Louis, I thought angrily. I loved him like a brother, but he was the biggest pig I’d ever met. All I ever did when we were home was run around cleaning up after him. It was ridiculous. I stripped my foot of the wet mess and dabbed the rest of the spill up with the other side of the same sock. Why waste a perfectly clean towel, when my sock would do just as well?

I took the disgusting, once white piece of cloth and threw it in the dirty laundry hamper before continuing my original venture toward the kitchen. My stomach grumbled loudly as my large feet stepped onto the tile flooring sending a chill instantly up my spine at the touch. Rummaging around, I saw a box of instant oatmeal on the top shelf in the cabinet. I stretched up to grab the box, and as I pulled it down, I was dismayed to find it was empty. Just like Louis to finish a box and the cardboard in the pantry, I thought. I guess I’ll be having disappointment for dinner. I rifled through some other cupboards before settling to make a ham sandwich. I stood in the kitchen fixing my food, my hips resting up against the counter top for balance. I layered the condiments in no particular order, finally smashing the bread down hard as I finished my creation.

Picking it up carefully by the edges, I tried not to get any mustard on the palms of my hands, but I failed miserably. I stood in front of the sink, crumbs falling like rain from the rest of the bread while I chewed my food, lost in thought. I wonder what was so wrong with Louis earlier? I was still concerned about him after what had happened today. I hadn’t had a chance to ask him what he was thinking about the whole situation, and I had a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach about it. I should’ve asked him.

I shoved the last bite of the sandwich into my mouth and was about to head to the couch to watch some television when a knock sounded at the door. It took me off guard, and I jumped, nearly inhaling my food. My heart pounded in my chest from the scare, and I tiptoed over to the door. What if it was Havener? I'd never really imagined myself as being paranoid, but after the events this morning, who could blame me? I closed one eye while I tried to look out into the hallway through the peephole. I was shocked to find that nobody was standing in front of the door. I waited for a few moments, hoping that maybe they would knock again, but nothing came. I started to think that maybe I had imagined the sound, all the stress finally getting to me.

I wrote it off as a hallucination, and I started to pad away from the heavy metal door when the sound came again. I stopped dead in my tracks, a little bud of fear erupting in my stomach again. I crept back over to the door again, this time opening it just a crack. The hallway was silent.

“Hello?” I called out to see if whoever was knocking would just come forward and say so, but nobody was there. I stood cowering behind the door for several moments until finally Louis popped back around the corner.

“Boo!” He startled me, and I let out a loud scream as I jumped backwards in fright. I landed hard on the floor, skidding backwards several feet. Louis pushed the door open and came inside. He looked the same as he did earlier except for slightly messier hair and a large stain on his pajama bottoms. I gave him a curious look. Louis simply smiled warmly at me, his blue eyes lighting up and the crinkles of crow’s feet appeared. It made me feel warm inside to think that he was over what ever he’d been feeling down about earlier. Louis turned and walked into the kitchen. I stood up off the floor following him, curious to see what he was doing back so quickly. I watched as he reached over and grabbed a folded black lump off the countertop: his wallet. “I forgot this when I left earlier,” he said finally, looking up from his hands. I nodded at him, understanding.