Kate

Chapter 12

I just sat with Harry, rubbing his back as he cried. It was hard for me to see him like this. I knew that no matter what I said, or what I did, nothing would change the fact that Louis was gone. 

His best friend had been murdered in cold blood, and there was no proof to catch the perpetrator.

I had a gut feeling that it wasn't as random as it may have seemed. I didn't even know who had tried to hurt me before, but there had to be a connection between my kidnapping and this, but what was it? I didn't know. There was this section of myself that just wanted to curl into a ball and cry, but I couldn't. The tears wouldn't come because, deep down, I knew that they wouldn't help anything. Harry needed me to be strong right now. I couldn't break down when he needed a shoulder to cry on. As we sat on the floor leaning into each other, I just listened as Harry's breathing finally slowed down, his hiccupping finally coming to a stop, and he seemed to have fallen asleep sitting up. I glanced around at the clock. It was nearly midnight already. How was I still managing to stay awake? I was exhausted. I hadn't had any sleep since the night that I had been kidnapped. I didn't have the heart to wake him up; he had finally managed to escape the pain of losing Louis. Shoving Harry over so that he'd be laying down, although in an awkward position, I collapsed beside him. He laid facing me; warm breath puffing out of his mouth ever so often. I just watched him for a while, somehow not able to fall asleep despite my exhaustion. I was afraid of what I would dream about; afraid of what would haunt me from the dark recesses of my own mind. 

I relaxed a little, listening to the quiet of Harry's breathing. It was soothing and rhythmic. Calming. I watched as his nose twitched, and his eyes moved under his lids, darting back and forth from the left to the right and back again. I started to nod off to sleep when I heard him mumble something under his breath. I hadn't been awake enough to make out what he had said, but my eyes instantly popped open. Harry was still sound asleep. 

"Havener, no," he mumbled sleepily. "Get the nanites away." I thought about shaking him awake as his brows furrowed, and he whimpered, seeming to be having a nightmare. 

"Harry?" I leaned closer to him, hoping that maybe he would hear me. 

"Get away," he yelped, shoving at me hard. I wasn't sure if that was actually meant for me at first, but I didn't take it to heart when he continued to mumble. "Take off... cuff." Harry finally quieted for good, and I was confused. Who- or what- was he talking about? Who was Havener? I didn't fully understand what was going on.  I made a mental note to ask Harry what was going on in the morning, but for now I was much too tired to have a clear mind. I could feel myself slip into an uneasy sleep.

***

Dark blackness wreathed around me, and I shivered from the intensity of the cold. I looked around wildly, my eyes darting back and forth trying to pick out shapes. I heard a gunblast from nearby, and I could feel my hands start to tremble. I was terrified of what was out to get me, coming for me from the blackness that wrapped around me on all sides, suffocating me. I whimpered in fear, wanting to cry out, but too terrified of giving myself away to do so. 

I didn't want to be found. I was afraid of what would find me. 

I turned around, walking in the dark, flailing my hands. I could see barely a few inches in front of my face. If I strained hard enough, my eyes could make out the shapes of my hands as they reached forward searching for a surface. I tried to keep moving, but my feet felt like they were slowing down, as if they were moving through deep water. I kept walking on, slower now than at first.  My stomach twisted up, and I began to feel extremely uneasy. 

A wind blew out of nowhere. It blasted my hair over my head and in front of my face to the point that I could no longer see anything. I shivered, my fingers going numb with the cold. I tried to rub against my sweater, but it provided me no warmth. I stumbled along in the dark, the wind getting stronger and stronger. Suddenly, there was a flash. The sky seemed to explode with intensity, and a bolt of lightning bit through the clouds that I hadn't known were overhead. My heart nearly exploded in my chest from the scare. I looked back around, only to see flames licking up the base of nearby trees.