Havener

Chapter 23

            I didn’t waste any time waiting around for any more of Mason’s orders. I was vulnerable; I reached a hand to my face in an attempt to stave off the remaining blood that still gushed from my nose. Anger bubbled inside me to think that I had built this place up, created it, and everything I’d worked for was being ripped away from me at the flick of a wrist. I wandered down the dimly lit hallways of the aircraft hangar away from what used to be my office, and toward the main building area. I wasn’t going to get him any coffee. My top priority was to get out of here; I had to get out of the city. It was clear that I wasn’t welcome, and I had no reason to stick around. I needed to figure out how to fight my own weapon. You’d think that this would be a fairly easy process. If I’d been able to inflict this punishment on everyone else, how could it be possible that I didn’t know how to undo it? I should know everything about it, after all, it had been at my command.

            Unfortunately for me, that was the exact problem. I’d been in control of something that I didn’t understand in the slightest, much less would I have been able to create. I had to face the facts: I was nothing more than a lowly thief. I wasn’t good at anything other than being a menace, and while it hurt my ego, it was the truth.

            And the truth was out of my control.

            Part of me was curious to know if that little twat Kate had been able to figure out these cuffs. After all, her father had invented the little buggers. Surely she’d know how to get take them apart, considering she’d helped to create them, even if it had been in tiny parts. An eerie smile tugged at the corners of my mouth as I rounded the corner and came into the main portion of the hangar. I looked around trying to find the tall dark shape of our pilot, Clark. Through the near darkness, I was able to pick out his outline, standing against a near wall drinking a soda of some variety.

            I wasn’t stupid. I knew good and well that Kate would’ve gotten far out of the city, and even the country by now. She was off trying to save that blasted boyfriend of hers, and I needed to track her down. As much as I hated the idea, she might be my only hope for the immediate future, and without her help, I had barely forty-eight hours to live before Mason would cut me off for deserting the Corps of the World Revolution.

            Timing was everything, and I needed to hurry.

            I approached Clark’s dark form slowly. Surely word of my demotion wouldn’t have spread just yet, and I needed to take advantage of every last bit of power I could squeeze out before that snake, Mason, took over for good. I had to use the last bit of loyalty I could before it was too late.

            “Clark.” I let the word slither its way out of my mouth, dragging on the syllables. He turned his large head in my direction after hearing his name, and in the low light, I could almost make out his features.

            “What is it, Havener?” His dark eyes glinted as he turned to face me, immediately standing up.

            “I need to make a trip,” I said, making sure to hold the uninterested tone in my voice. “How soon can the jet be ready?” Clark shifted slightly, and lowered the can of soda from his lips.

            “It could be ready as soon as fifteen hundred hours,” he replied slowly after glancing at the small clock on the wall. He took another sip of his soda. He seemed to be completely turned off by the thought of doing anything at all as he slouched along the wall. I needed to instill some energy into him; we needed to get out of here.

            “Get to it,” I commanded, a steely edge to my low voice. “We’re on a tight schedule.”