Harry

Chapter 22

            As we sat in the deafening silence in the back of the truck, I was forced to finally confront all the thoughts that were swirling around in my head making me feel nauseas.

Elation.

Thus far, Kate and I had been successful in our endeavors. As much as I was ashamed to be happy about it, I was. It was cool to be such a, dare I say it, badass. It almost felt as if nothing in the world could stop us. If a plane falling dead out of the sky couldn’t kill us, then what could? I smiled in the dark, the realization making me smile to myself. I was ready for this to finally be over, but then it hit me: What would we do next? After I got this cuff off, what would our next objective be? As far as I knew, Havener and his men didn’t have any of my other friends or family, but what if I was wrong? A pang of fear hit me in my stomach so hard I felt like I couldn’t breathe.

I was terrified, there was no use in denying it anymore, and I had to stop trying to. Every trace of the happiness that I’d felt only seconds ago was gone.  Every minute, we got closer to the moment that would define my entire existence. Hardly anything stood in Kate and I’s path anymore, but that made it all the more dangerous. One wrong move now would almost certainly spell out death for me, and what about Kate? She could definitely go to prison for who knows how long, or, if Havener hunted her down, it would mean death for her as well. I didn’t want that to happen, but I was trapped between trying to protect her, and attempting to save my own life.

Out of what seemed like nowhere, I heard a giggle in the dark. I jumped, not realizing that it was only Kate. As this thought hit me, I relaxed a little and allowed my weight to sink back onto the box.

“What’s so funny?” I’d posed the question, but it seemed that it needed no answer. I could almost feel Kate’s eyes wandering the spot where I sat as if she could see me through the darkness. She said nothing for a moment.

“It’s almost time, you know.” Her voice rang through the pitch-blackness, and another wave of fear jolted through me. She didn’t need to say it, I already knew.

“I know,” I responded quietly. My voice sounded small and uncertain. It was almost pitiful.

“Are you worried?” At first all I did was nod and let the silence speak for me. Eventually I spoke up, uttering a tiny ‘yes’.

“I am too.”

“I’m just worried for your sake, not mine,” I said finally, after thinking a moment. “If something happens to me…” I trailed off, not wanting to finish the thought. What would she do? Would she be able to keep herself safe from Havener, or would he finally get her for good? I didn’t want to think about it. I couldn’t bare the thought of being gone. I couldn’t bare the thought of being without her, even for just a second. I would never let that happen to her.

I would never let that happen to us.

“Harry, I couldn’t let anything happen,” she breathed out, and I felt her eyes burning holes in my skin. “You’re all I’ve got left in the world.”

I didn’t know how to end that thought other than with an agreeing silence. I said nothing and sat back on my box, just waiting for the truck to arrive at CBRS. I couldn’t help myself when I began to black out from exhaustion. I fought the sleepiness with every fiber of my being, but I didn’t think I could stay awake much longer. If we didn’t get out soon, we were going to get caught. I could only imagine how Kate was holding up, as I felt myself drifting into an uneasy slumber.

***

Everything was black and silent, which was not unlike the inside of the truck, but there was one tiny difference. There was a moon here. It cast almost no light, but I could see it. I knew that it was there. I felt myself stand up, as if I’d been sitting before, and begin to walk. It wasn’t until I started to move that I realized that there were trees overhead, their branches twisting and gnarling together to block out the dim light.