Chapter 8

Later that night, I found out I slept through the whole party and when I woke up, everyone had just left. Thomas stayed with me the rest of the night, just holding me while I continued to cry, replaying my nightmare. The others walked into the room, concerned for me but Thomas told them to go home.

"Savannah," Thomas said to me, "you should go home."

I nodded and we both got up from the bed.

"Can I take you back to the tower?" Thomas asked, still worried about me.

I shook my head. "I can go by myself."

Thomas didn't looked convinced. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah." I said.

He sighed, "Okay."

We walked out of the building together and before he could leave, I hugged him tightly. I was just so grateful for him being here for me. I don't know what I would do without him.

"Thank you." I whispered in his chest.

"No need to thank me, Savannah." said Thomas, stroking my hair. "Like I said, I'll always be there for you."

I let go and smiled at him. The next thing that happened just . . . happened. I didn't know how I got the courage to do so, but I stepped on my tiptoe and kissed Thomas on the cheek.

After I realized what I just did, I blushed. Thomas smiled and I couldn't tell if he was blushing because it was so dark outside.

"Goodnight Savannah." He said, turned around and walked away towards his parked car.

My heart skipped a beat as I mentally smacked myself in the head. Why did I do that?

I shook my head and told myself I could deal with it later. I looked around and remembered I took the bus here.

If I squinted my eyes, I could just make out the bus station a few blocks away. I started to run, hoping I made it just in time for the last bus.

It was hard to run in three inch heels so every minute or so, I would have to stop and fix my heels.

As I stopped for the fifth time, I saw the bus stop at the bus station. My eyes widened and I realized it would drive away in a matter of seconds if they didn't see anyone standing there.

I took off my heels and ran barefoot, ignoring the pain when I stepped on a rock. I was just a few feet away when the bus roared with engine.

"No!" I yelled, hoping anyone would hear me. But I knew the engine of the bus drowned my voice. "Stop!"

But by the time I made it to the stop, the bus was down the next block. I sighed and sat down on the bench. Now how am I going to make it to the tower?

I should've taken Thomas's offer, I thought to myself.

I cupped my chin in my hand and went through all of the possible ways to get to the tower. My thoughts were interrupted when a black shiny car stopped in front of me.

I picked my head up as the window rolled down, revealing the one and only, Nick Fury.

"Need a ride?" He asked.

I stood up and fixed my dress. "Nah, I'd rather walk than ride in that car with you."

"You do realize it would take hours on feet, right?"

"I know." I told him.

He sighed. "Look, Savannah, I'm just trying to be of use. I'm trying to be nice."

I scoffed. "You? Be nice. Yeah, right."

He shrugged his shoulders. "Fine, suit yourself."

I huffed and started to walk down the sidewalk. That's when I realized I was limping. Nick's car pulled over to me.