Chapter 17

I sighed as I drummed my fingers across the table, my chin in my other hand. I looked around me and watched all the family's happy faces as they played and ran around. The friends hanging out, taking selfies or just talking like normal friends. And of course, couples walking hand-in-hand.

Almost an hour I've been sitting here in the park waiting for someone who might not even show up. It was cold and I pondered why I said meet me at Central Park when it's below freezing. Sometimes I question if I even think before I talk.

"Um, are you just going to sit here forever?" A man beside me asked. He's been standing there for about 10 minutes waiting for me to leave because it's the only chair and table around that isn't occupied - which, I found weird considering it's cold out.

I glared at him. "I'm waiting for someone."

"Well, can you tell them to hurry up because I'm freezing my butt off."

I rolled my eyes but stood up anyway. "Whatever, he might not be coming anyway."

"Thank you." The man muttered and sat down the second I stood up.

I gave him a look and wrapped my arms around myself, walking the way back to the mansion.

"You really thought I wasn't coming?" A voice behind me said.

I stopped short and turned around, seeing Thomas standing there. He had a coat on with gloves and a scarf. He looked warm, whereas I, being my stupid self, stood there, my teeth chattering, wearing two hoodies and leggings.

What? Sue me for not paying attention to the weather channel.

I looked at my phone. "Well, you're 57 minutes late, so."

"Traffic." He shrugged. "I'm sorry."

I shook my head. "Don't be."

He looked around. "You waited 57 minutes out here for me? Why didn't you go inside somewhere?"

I looked down. I didn't think of that. "Um, I just like freezing until I'm on the brink of becoming an ice sculpture."

He laughed and I tried so hard not to smile. I haven't heard that laugh in a while. "Let's go inside."

I nodded and we walked across the street to Starbucks. We ordered coffee and sat down at a table in the back. We sat for minutes just sipping our drinks, not saying anything. To say it awkward would be an understatement.

Thomas cleared his throat. "Savannah, why am I here? Why did you wait out in the cold for me?"

I gulped. "I didn't want to do this over the phone...I just wanted to apologize. I know I left all of a sudden, and I know I lied to you. I didn't mean it. I didn't want to, but I didn't want to make you and the rest of the team feel bad, you know?"

"We would've supported your decision. I would've supported you." He said.

I sighed. "I know. It was just hard. I've been having a terrible year. I learned my parents adopted me. I learned I was going to be with the Avengers. I learned I have...powers. It's been stressful and sometimes I want to go back and wish it never happened. But then I remember the team, and you and I regret ever wishing that because while it's been stressful it's also been great. Because I met you. I met the team. You guys are the best things that's happened to me, and I couldn't leave knowing I was going to hurt your feelings. So I'm sorry."

Thomas gave me a long look and then sighed. He let go of his cup and grabbed my hand across the table. My heart skipped a beat.

"I'm not mad at you, Savannah." He told me, rubbing his thumb over my knuckles. "I just missed you. I didn't think you'd just leave like that. But I'm not mad, I promise."