109. Vigama (Part 4)

"Jagdish Singh!"

Her hand shot up, fingers outstretched in a gesture but halted mid-air. Jagdish Singh. The name she usually uttered with pride now hung heavy in the air, a silent accusation.

Yashoda Veer Singh, a woman who had never raised her voice at her children, was moments away from breaking that cardinal rule; she was pushed to the point where she wanted to hit her son. The son, the Jagdish Veer Singh, the one she cherished more than life itself, the one she and her Veer had sworn to protect... That same son had dared to speak such blasphemy about his father.

Tears welled in her eyes, blurring the image of Jagdish before her. How could he? His words were a fresh wound on the very core of her being, a betrayal of the love she and Veer had built.

Jagdish, flinching back at the unexpected movement, felt his heart hammering against his ribs.  His mother, the embodiment of gentleness, stood before him, her eyes blazing with a fire he'd never witnessed. All his life, he'd known her fierce protectiveness, a lionessshielding her her pride. But this fury, directed at him, was a terrifying revelation. Her face flushed a deep crimson, a stark contrast to the usual calm that adorned it. In that moment, she looked dangerous, as if she would kill anyone who dared to speak against her husband.

The age-old adage claims that a mother's love surpasses all others. Yet, here was Yashoda, defying every stereotype. Her love for Veer burned so brightly it threatened to overshadow even her love for her own son. For the first time, Jagdish witnessed the sheer force of the love of a woman, a fierce loyalty that could transform his gentle mother into a warrior queen, ready to defend her king.

And he stood rooted, a statue sculpted from shock.

--

"Maa?" Krishna's hesitant voice broke the tense silence as he peeked into the room. "What happened? Is everything alright?"

Yashoda, with a superhuman effort, blinked back her tears and schooled her features into a semblance of her usual calm. "Nothing, Beta," she murmured, turning towards Krishna.

Krishna, his brow furrowed in confusion, tilted his head. "But I... I thought I heard you shouting?" This was a first – his mother, the epitome of quiet strength, raising her voice.

Yashoda blinked again, the lingering moisture betraying her composure. "Oh... Th...that," she stammered, searching for an explanation. "It's nothing, Beta."

Krishna, unconvinced, cast a questioning glance at Jagdish, who remained frozen in his spot, the weight of his mother's silent fury heavy upon him.

"Where's Subhadra?" Yashoda asked, her voice strained but determined to change the subject.

Krishna scrunched his nose in response. "Probably on another one of her endless calls. Always whispering secrets with her friends." He shook his head in mock exasperation. "I wouldn't be surprised if she has a boyfriend she's hiding."

A small, genuine chuckle escaped Yashoda's lips. It was a sound devoid of the earlier tension, a lifeline thrown to normalcy. "Jealous, are we?" she teased, gently ushering him out of the room. "Perhaps you should find some friends of your own rather than doubting your sister for being a social bird."

"Jealous?" He scoffed playfully. "Choti definitely has a boyfriend," he muttered as they both descended the stairs, leaving Jagdish alone in his study. Krishna paused and cheerfully called his brother, oblivious to the storm fuming between Yashoda and Jagdish, "Bhaiyya, aren't you coming for tea?" he asked, his head tilted in innocent curiosity.

Jagdish remained silent, his gaze locked on his mother's back. Yashoda, however, refused to meet his eyes. A lump formed in his throat, threatening to spill over as tears welled up in his own eyes.

"No," he croaked, his voice thick with emotion. "I think... I'll just have it alone. It's probably best for everyone."

--

A/N

Feeling bad for Jagdish... He probably doesn't know the full story and has assumed the worst from his childhood experiences. Yet, neither Yashoda nor Veer took the time to explain things to him. Of course, he shouldn't have badmouthed his father, especially in front of his mother, who is fiercely devoted to Veer. Hopefully, they resolve this soon. I don't want Yashoda to remain angry at Jagdish over something so petty. She should just sit down and talk with him instead of shutting him out like this.

I am ranting here as if someone else is writing this story and I am a reader, lol XD

"Naina" from Dangal. It suits the rift between mother-son here.

P.S. Fourth update today and... All my drafts are updated, lol, now, I don't have anything to update. Why am I in so much hurry to update??

Vote share COOMMENNT!