+ chapter twenty-seven +

Project X

All Rights Reserved

© 2015 Luna Black

~*~

"Alexa?" She turned her face to the side, trying to make out the voice and squinted her eyes. It was so hard to see. It was taking so much energy to simply breathe and she was tired. She wanted to close her eyes. "Alexa?" The voice repeated and he shook her gently, but with enough force to wake her.

"Alexandra!" He said, a little more urgently.

Alexa groaned, forcing her eyes to look up and stared at the figure for a couple of seconds as she waited for her eyesight to adjust. It was Dram. His ear was bleeding profusely and half of his face was covered in dirt. "Are you okay?" She croaked.

He narrowed his eyes, feeling a bit relieved that she was able to talk. "I am fine. Come on, we need to get you to the XISC right away."

"Okay," she whispered, "teleport us there and make sure my baby's okay. I saw a lot of blood."

"I cannot teleport us there. The explosion messed up my watch, if I try to travel, pieces of our bodies could end up in different parts of the world."

"Ugh," she groaned weakly, "what about my baby, Dram? Is he okay?"

He crawled over to her stomach, gently turning her body to check and nodded, after he pressed his hand against it. It was still living. "He is okay. But a piece of plastic is stuck in your leg and near your ribcage; you lost a lot of blood."

Her eyes slowly closed and she whispered something incomprehensible under her breath. Dram sighed, slowly fixing her body so that he could carry her in his arms. "I am going to have to run to the XISC, Alexa, okay? It will make you feel dizzy and as much as I want you to stay awake, you will feel better if you close your eyes."

She nodded, moaning uncomfortably as she felt her body being lifted off the ground and he wrapped his arm around her legs tightly, but careful not to press against her wound. "I'm going to write a super long letter to the President about the way the military works," she slurred, slumping her head on Dram's shoulder.

He chuckled, making sure he had a steady grip on her and then began to run through the field as if his life depended on it. In a way it did; if anything happened to Alexa or her baby, Xander would kill him.

He had specifically told him to take Alexa out of harm's way, but she was stubborn and if it hadn't been for her, Xander would've been dead. His General should've thanked her instead of growling at her.

Dram shook his head and picked up his speed, his fallen comrades seeming like a blur as he sped by them. He could faintly hear Alexa mumbling under her breath and although she sounded crazy, he preferred to hear some type of sign that proved she was living rather than have her dead in his arms.

Her head slightly jumped with every step Dram took, but it felt like a steady beat against her body. It was almost like a heartbeat and it comforted her; it made her think of her baby living. If she stayed alive, so would her baby. She repeated it in her mind like a mantra.

Staying alive, meant seeing my baby. Staying alive, meant seeing my baby. Staying alive meant seeing my baby. My baby. Xander's baby. Our baby.

After what felt like an eternity, Dram finally ran into the XISC with Alexa in his arms, in bride-style form. Doctor Naveer was the first one who saw her; the other doctors were all in the battlefield, trying to bring back any soldier that they could find.