Chapter 1

"Mom I'm going to the library."
"Okay Kristen be safe."
"I will."
"You know they're coming soon."
"Yea I know."
I knew exactly who my mother was talking about. We call them "the snatchers." Every year around this time they come and get the unmated males and females. We have no idea when they want to come and get us and we have no idea where we will be taken. They change the location every time. They only have the game every 3 years and this will be my first year going. Luckily I was a few months too young to go last time.

Now I'm almost 18 and sadly I have to go this year. "The snatchers" could be coming any day now, sometimes it becomes obvious when people around town start disappearing and sometimes it happens so quickly no one even knows. Many people try to run and hide but they are always caught. If you harm one of "the snatchers" you could get in a lot of trouble. It's not like most of us stand a chance anyway. Most of us get drugged and kidnapped by them.

There's nothing I can do anyway so I just do my normal routine and hope to not get taken. I just rounded the corner and almost to the library, I started walking a little faster feeling like I'm being watched. I grabbed the door handle and stepped into the safety of the library. I took a deep breathe, I won't be snatched yet.

I grabbed a few books and settled in my usual corner. Then I heard the door open again and my best friend walked in.

"Hey Kristen, I saw you outside but you seemed to be in a bit of a hurry. Are you okay?"
"Yea Kate I'm fine, just a little worried about the games."
"It's going to be okay we just have to stick together and we'll be okay."
"Did your mom tell you anything about it."
"No, you know the rules they can't tell us anything even if they wanted to it's supposed to remain a complete secret."
"No I know I was just hoping."
"Kristen I heard my dad talking on the phone and he said we will be taken this week."
"Ugh I don't even know how I feel about this. I want to met my mate but there's a chance I will never see my family again."
"Knowing you, you will come up with something trust me your very persuasive."
"Well I have to go before my mom thinks they took me today."
"Okay bye Kristen."
"I will see you soon Kate."

I walked out of the library and down the road to my house. Still very nervous about what could happen at the selection game which is what everyone calls this whole thing. As I walked through the house my mom came and hugged me.

"Kristen I'm so glad your home we were so worried, your dad is in the living room."
"Okay thanks mom."
I went into the living to see my dad drinking tea.
"Hey kiddo."
"Hey dad I think I'm gonna go on to bed."
"Okay goodnight."
I walk up the stairs of our house to go to bed. I don't know what my parents will do without me. I'm an only child and I've never been gone for longer than a week. Ugh this will be one stressful process. I changed into a t-shirt and some shorts then got in bed. After about 30 minutes of trying to get comfortable I heard something at my window. I turned around quickly but didn't see anything. When I turned back around I saw a dark figure and started to scream. Before I could they covered my mouth and stabbed a needle in my neck.

Great I've been "snatched."