Chapter 8

Just as Aria began to look as if she was giving up, I watched her pivot in the mans arms and he suddenly dropped to the ground. She was able to outsmart him and take him down, his confidence in her capture left him unsuspecting of her maneuver to kick him in his genitalia.

She sprang up and out his arms, just as another stranger ran out onto the balcony.

The new man grabbed her waist and she screamed out again.

Then she was ripped away by the man that had been previously laying on the floor in pain. The force of their grip ripped her shirt as she struggled to get away and out from in between them.

As the two men began to brawl she was able to slip away from them.

Aria glanced back as she noticed the coat hanger on the opposite side of the fight; as she was near the power cable that I had previously slid across.

With one jump I watched as she lurched forward and grabbed onto the power line with both hands.

She painfully skidding across as the cable wore down her hands.

On the balcony, the men began to notice that she was no longer there and glanced across the way to see me and Aria which was slowly coming this way.

The friction of her hands across the cable slowed her down. I watched as her arms began to shake and her fearful expression tugged on my heart.

"Come on Aria, you can do it," I yelled to her.

"You're almost here, just a little further," I called again.

Her voice was shaking as she called out, "I'm not going to make it."

Her whole body shook as if a small gust of wind could blow her away. The speed she once had was reduced to just her slowly sliding her fragile hands across the cable, she was just a few arm lengths away. My whole body hung over the edge as I reached out to her.

Across the cable I noticed the once quarrelsome brutes eyeing the cable as if they were going to chase us across. With their arm strength I knew it wouldn't take them long to scale the distance and take us both. I had to figure out a way to protect Aria.

The first man hooked an arm around the cable and began to shake the cable, he was taunting Aria.

"Ahhh, please stop!" She screamed out at the men as they both began to laugh.

Her bloody hands began to loose their grip as she began slipping from the cable. I couldn't handle this anymore I had to do something before she fell.

"No Aria, focus on me and hold on, I'm coming to get you!" I cried out to her as I grabbed onto the cable and began to slide my hands across.

After sliding across a few feet, the men began to shake the cable even more. I was almost to Aria as one of her hands slipped completely off of the cable. I scaled the few extra feet just as her hands both slipped from the cable.

My heart lurched in my chest as I cried out and she began to fall.

I reached out using my legs and attempted to grip onto her waist.

This however didn't slow down her momentum. I struggled to hold onto her as I felt my own hands slipping from the cable. I had overestimated my upper body strength and now we were both paying the price.

With one final shake of the cable my sweaty palms slipped from the power line.

I couldn't even scream, it all happened so fast.

All I could hear was Aria screaming out in pure terror.

Down we fell into the black abyss.

All I saw was the balcony lights above.

All I felt was fear.

Then what had felt like hours but probably only occurred in minutes, we hit water.

I wish that it had been relief that I had felt, but all that was there was the cold feeling of cement hitting my head.

And then there was nothing.