Chapter 11

I woke up to a scratchy throat that felt as dry as the desert. I sat up in search of water and then it came back to me that I was no longer at my home.

As I sat up, a coughing spell overtook my body and I doubled back over.

When I finally gained control, I noticed Jade and Aria were missing.

I scrambled to my feet as I realized Alex was still passed out in the corner. At least they didn't leave me.

I walked over to the side door to my escape, pondering if I should stay or go in search of Jade and Aria.

Before I could even choose it quite literally slammed into me.

I was forcefully knocked back, and onto my butt.

Jade rounded the door and saw me, "nice of you to finally wake up."

"Well it's not only me, your brother is still asleep too. Where's Aria?"

"Well if I knew where she was then she wouldn't be able to run anymore," she retorted with an attitude.

I couldn't understand what her problem was, "what do you have against Aria?"

She snarled back in reply, "I have a problem with anyone who drugs me."

Drugs? I had no idea what she was talking about, my whole brain felt fuzzy.

She walked over to one of the washing machines and held up three syringes.

This makes no sense. Aria wouldn't want to travel alone and where would she even get the syringes.

I glanced suspiciously at Jade, "how do I know it wasn't you that drugged me?"

Jade glared at me and ripped up her shirt sleeve revealing a small puncture wound and then she pointed to Alex. "Why would I want to drug my own brother?"

I rubbed my face in exhaustion, "I don't know, this just doesn't make sense."

She walked over to Alex eyeing him worriedly, "shouldn't he have woken up by now?"

I knew nothing about the stuff in those syringes but he has been out for a lot longer than us, "depends on how much he was drugged."

We need to give him time to wake up before we decide to move on. I still hadn't eaten much since we got here and I needed water desperately.

"No one's coming after the guys, he has no one to be afraid of if we just leave him here for a little bit." I ushered her towards the door as my growling stomach gave me all the motivation that I needed.

After a little bit more prodding she exited the building with me.

Jade immediately started leading the way and morphed back to the cold exterior that I had been greeted with. Without a word I followed her. There was no way that this was her first time in the dome but I was still slightly worried that we would be caught.

I wanted to ask her where we were headed but the dead silence and the foggy air made me refrain. If I was louder than the whistling wind then the wolves would begin another hunt.

We carried on in the deafening silence for a few more miles before we came upon an awkward convenient store that was tucked away in between two large buildings and down a stairwell. Hopefully it hadn't been raided yet. It was pretty well hidden and I was surprised that Jade had seen it but that's how you survive, by seeing things that others do not.

Just like normal Jade walked ahead without fear into the convenient store and I followed just a step behind her.

The inside way like any other mediocre store. The ceilings were cracked and the wallpaper was peeling off but that made no difference to us. We were just there for the food which was well stocked for such a small store. The food consisted of simple junk food and typical canned goods. My stomach welcomed the sight and I immediately opened a can of peaches, inhaling the contents in seconds.

I wanted to eat a whole feast but decided against it. I would surely get sick if I ate to much within such a short amount of time after being pretty much starved for the past few days.

I looked at Jade and tossed her a zebra print bag that was hanging on a rack to my right.

"We should start gathering sustainable food that will keep for longer amounts of time. Stick to the canned food, there is no telling how long this other stuff had been here and whatever you grab be sure to check the expiration date" I told Jade.

She rolled her eyes at me, "Don't worry you're already slow as it is I don't need you to be sick and slow us down more."

I just scoffed and continued packing food into my own bag.

I walked around the store after packing a considerable amount of food looking for anything else of use. I ended up with 3 lighters and 2 pocket knives. At the back of the store I started grabbing some water bottles when I heard the creak of the floor just around the corner.

I looked up, my body suddenly going ridged as Jade who is at the front of the store snaps her attention in my direction.

Before I can even make a move to flee the scene my body is thrown into the wall.

It probably would have hurt less if I didn't recognize the man that did it.