Chapter 7

That night we slept in the penthouse suite. It had a large balcony with a great vantage point so that we could see most of the surrounding area. No one would even make it close to our room without us seeing or hearing them first. The only way to get to our room was if someone took the elevator, luckily our room couldn't be reached using the stairs. The bad part is that the elevator is the only way out.

Aria and I took shifts watching throughout the night but even still I couldn't sleep. Restlessness overtook my sleep and I decided to give up and take over for Aria.

Something plagued my thoughts, I had a feeling I was in for a lot more than I had originally bargained for. I looked over at Aria as she slept, such an innocent girl only wanting to see the good in people. Someday she'll learn that even the best trackers can't find what isn't there. But there was also this feeling that she didn't tell me everything about her ex boyfriend, there has to be more to it.

Lost in my own thoughts, I had forgotten that I was supposed to be keeping watch. That's when I heard the creaking of the elevator...

I immediately sprang up and shook Aria awake as I watched the electronic numbers climb higher and higher on the elevator. We were on the 14th floor but the elevator was already at the 10th floor. My eyes scoured the room trying to find a weapon or anyway to escape.

I ran over to the balcony and looked over, out of the corner of my eye I spotted a cable. It looked like an older power line, but it was pretty thick and looked sturdy enough to hold some weight. The problem was that I wasn't sure how much it would hold. I quickly ran back into the room grabbing Aria's hand and two metal clothes hangers.

I climbed up onto the ledge just as I heard the last beep of the elevator.

Aria was looking at me with fear as she glanced at the street below.

"I guess this is a bad time to mention that I'm afraid of heights"
"We don't have much of a choice and I will not be taken against my own will."

I gripped the clothes hanger with both hands as I wrapped it around the cable.

"You've got to trust me that this will work, those men are crazed wolves with no capability to control themselves without their mate".
"I trust you now go!"

Then I launched myself over the edge and into the darkness of the night. I couldn't even see where the cable ended, the only thing I saw was downward sloped line. I could hear the zipping sound of the metal against the power lines.

My clothing rod was bending and I was quickly beginning to doubt my ability to hold on to it as the sharp metal dug into my skin.

Just up ahead I saw a faint light but the cable looked like it was going right past it. Below the light, there was a balcony. It looked a little farther than I would normally jump, but typically I don't zip across power lines in the middle of the night.

My only option was currently to jump and I wasn't sure how far the next opportunity would be. So I took my chance and at the last second launched myself towards the balcony and narrowly missed the ledge. However my landing was not graceful and I did not beautifully land by rolling in the typical manner than saves your ankles. No, I flopped onto the surface, falling to my knees and almost banging my head on a flower pot.

I ignored the pain however and quickly got up to look for any sign of Aria behind me.

A dimly lit balcony could be seen as well as a small Aria, which clung to the side of the building like a trapped mouse.

Just as she started to secure the coat hanger, a man busted through the closed doors to the penthouse.

He lurched for Julia as she tottered on the edge of the balcony.

I looked on in horror as he grabbed Aria and yanked her closer. My closest friend here was being ripped away from me and it broke my heart that I couldn't climb back across that power cable to help her.

Aria struggled in the strange mans grip as he attempted to drag her back inside. After a few minutes Aria's energy seemed to weaken as she began to move less and less. It seemed like this man was finally getting what he had come to find.