Chapter 12

His eyes looked familiar yet so different than they once were. The sweet friend that I once sat with at family dinners was replaced by this angry shell of his former self. His clothes were wrinkled and he had no shoes on. His hair was a greasy mess that was far longer than Charlotte would've allowed.

Charlotte...

She was one of the sweetest girls that I had ever met. Her smile never seemed to leave her face. She was a shining star in my cousin, Lex's life since the day they met at the fair at the tender age of sixteen.

They were engaged to marry the day that she was killed.

She had been summoned by the council and on that dreaded day she had been killed by a lycan before she could even reach the city. Lycans are a much stronger breed and very unpredictable unless employed by the council. They are known as the enforcers of our lands. However, unless a lycan has chosen to reveal themselves to you then you would never know that they were any different than a regular wolf in their human form.

No one in my family had heard from Lex since the day of Charlotte's funeral. The only reason that we knew he was still alive was because of the checks he sent each month to his lonesome mother.

Returning back to the present, my vision was beginning to get very dark as I looked up at Lex looming over me.

For a split second his empty eyes held sorrow as he whispered, "you shouldn't be here."

I tried to process his words but my eyes closed on their own accord as I let the darkness consume me.
....

When I woke up I was still laying in the same place on the floor.

My head was pounding for the millionth time since I had been placed in this horrid dome.

Lex stared at me from a stool on the opposite side of the room. In his eyes I could still see the same emptiness that was there the last time I saw him.

I tried to get up but Lex held up a hand as if to tell me no. Before I could even get a foothold he rushed over to me and left the stool to fall to the ground with a bang.

However, instead of helping me he pushed me back to the ground in an aggressive way.

I looked up at him with confusion.

"What are you doing here Lex?"
"I have a job to do."
"Why are you holding me here?"
"This was a secure location and now it has been compromised by the likes of you."
"Can't you jus-"

I was cut off by the sound off footsteps in the back of the store.

Lex's head shot up as he stalked to the back of the store room.

I used his distracted state to try and run out of the store. I had no idea where Jade was but I could only hope that she had made it out before me.

I was almost free when a hand grabbed my arm and yanked me back inside.

Lex painfully gripped my arms and pinned them to my back as if he was handcuffing me.

"You were supposed to stay in place but now I'll have to confine you just like your friend," Lex growled out at me.

I whimpered as he began dragging me across the floor to the back of the store.

Before I could stop him he threw me into a dark storeroom freezer.

I came crashing to my knees as the door slammed shut behind me. Once my eyes adjusted I saw Jade leisurely leaning against the wall beside of me.

I was about to say something to her but I began to hear an unknown person start talking to Lex on the other side of the door.

"Who did you just put in there?"
"Sir, it's just a troublesome girl."
"A girl? Are you insane? You can't trap random girls from the dome."

All of a sudden the door was yanked open and light streamed into our dark room.

Jade immediately grabbed my arm and yanked me up. We walked through the door huddled together like prisoners that hadn't seen light in days.

When we walked back out into the store area Lex was sitting on the ground with his head in his hands staring at the ground.

The other guy was looking at us with a inquisitive stare. He was pretty buff guy with broad shoulders and a frame that stood to be about 6 foot tall. He might've been cute had I not been creeped out by whatever they had planned.

"What do you want from us?" I gathered all of the energy I had to say those words without stuttering out of fear.

He looked at me with a smirk. "What are you willing to offer?"