Chapter Two

It's not that she didn't like being back with the Ghost Warriors. It was the constant smothering everyone was doing. The girls never left her side, the guys were in and out dropping off things and asking if she needed anything.

She was beginning to like it better when no messed with her and she was alone most of the time. When she was a shadow in the background, when half the brothers still hated her or was cautious around her. This was a big one-eighty way too fast.

According to Sarah, Jaylen had slept for three days and was barely responsive for the next two. Now six days of being back, she was wide awake and feeling every bit of pain that was racing through her body. The pain meds hadn't kicked in yet. Breathing hurt like a bitch.

"Are you hungry? Trish made some kind of soup, I can go get you a bowl," Sarah said as she straightened the blankets for the eighth time.

"I'm ok, Sarah. Promise. I think I just want to take a nap." Jaylen insisted.

"Alrighty, well call if you need anything." Finally, Sarah left.

Jaylen wasn't kidding about the nap thing. Sleeping was the only time she wasn't in any pain, or at least didn't feel it as much. If she had the option to sleep until she was healed, she'd take it in a heartbeat. But nope. The hard way it was.

She slowly slid down the pillows, squeezing her eyes shut and gritting her teeth until she was flat on her back. This wasn't new to her. She knew exactly how to lay with broken ribs, even if she loved the fetal position. She pulled the blanket up around her head and closed her eyes. She was almost asleep when she heard the door open.

"Really, Sarah, I just wanna sleep," she groaned.

"Sorry," she heard that deep familiar voice that sent chills down her spine and she almost sat straight up.

That was a mistake. The movement cause pain to flash through her and her ability to breathe was gone, she got in a good scream of shock though. She didn't realize Hatchett was by her side until she felt the bed dip two seconds later. He helped lower her to lay down again. He placed his hands on her ribs and surprisingly she began to feel better. She sucked in a breath and opened her eyes.

"Shit, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you. Are you ok?" He asked, looking her over.

"Yea, I'll be ok," she breathed. "It's not the worst I've felt." She tried to smile.

He wasn't having it. If anything, his face got dark. "Don't." He all but growled. "I don't wanna hear about your shit life before here, got me?"

"It's fine, Hatchett. I've accepted my past and unfortunately my family. Although, I'm sorta glad my brother isn't around anymore. He was too much like Jailer."

He sighed and looked away. "I just came in to see if you were good. Didn't mean to make you hurt yourself."

"I'm good. And I was just startled. I don't wanna seem rude, but would you mind if I slept for a few hours? Please."

He nodded and left without a word. She pulled the blanket up again and closed her eyes, letting out a frustrated breath.

******

Weeks pasted by and slowly she could start moving around and doing things herself. She was still limited, but everything was getting back to normal. The bruises were gone, her cuts were almost healed, and her ribs as well tho they still hurt like new if she moved the wrong way.

She finally got everyone to let her attempt to do things herself until she asked for help three weeks ago. However, ever week or so, she'd wake up to all of her dirty clothes cleaned and folded on her desk and the empty basket back in the corner. At first she thought it was Sarah, but her friend denied it as well as everyone else she asked.

Today was her first day back at work, working the desk at the garage for the club. She had stopped for a hot chocolate first--she couldn't stand coffee, she found it disgusting--and the moment she walked into the door she knew it was going to be a long day.

The front counter was in worse shape then when she first took it over a few years ago. The paper and folders were stacked almost two feet high on the desk and behind the counter. The chair they had for it was M.I.A. and the mini fridge was in desperate need of cleaning. The corkboard was covered in old fliers and work orders, the key hooks were even a mess. How the hell do you disorganize key hooks?

She shook her head and went to the breakroom, putting her purse in her locker. She grabbed a rag and a Burke of cleaner from the cleaning closet in the garage and went back to the desk. They didn't open for another hour, so she was hoping she could get most of the desk organized.

Slowly, the guys came in to set up and get ready for work while she put the folders into the filing cabinets. She got the floor cleaned up by the time the shop opened.

Around one Viper came into the waiting room and kissed her cheek. "Hey, Jay. We're gonna order pizza, want something?"

She smiled. "Thanks, Viper, but I'm good."

He frowned. "You're not eating."

"I'll just eat after work."

He sighed. "Jay..."

"Don't. Please. I know you care but I'll be fine."

Viper nodded and left, grabbing the phone on his way. Jaylen got back to cleaning and jumped when she heard a loud bang on the counter.

"Why aren't you eating?" Hatchett demanded.

"God, what is with you?" She asked. "I don't wanna eat pizza, so what?"

"Are you trying to kill yourself?"

She gasped. "You figured it out! I tried to stop my dad from killing me so I could do it myself! Moron!"

He frowned and narrowed his eyes. "I swear you're lucky you're a woman."

"Bite me, Hatchett."

Hatchett growled and turned around but Jaylen swore she heard him say, "Don't fuckin tempt me..."