2 : 'Ryder'

Chapter 2

The phone buzzed again as I lay on my comfy bed. Closing my eyes, I breathed out a sigh and turned to pick up the phone. Her again..

Should I pick it up this time?

I haven't talked to her for like a month now.. Last time she had called, she wanted me to go back for the Holidays. But I had decided to stay here instead.

The phone buzzed in my hand as I stared at the name.. Home..

Only one person calls me from there.. It can't be anyone else, can it be?

I picked it up... "Hello?"

"Sweety?" An old yet elegant voice flowed through the line.

"Gg?" I sighed. It wasn't them. It was always her.. "Hey, gg! How are you? Everything alright?"

"Expecting one of them to call you, weren't you?" Gg asked with that I-know-it-all tone.

"No.. Why would I?" I could feel her roll her eyes on the other side.

"Yeah, I know.. But, sweetie, how are you doing? Are you happy there? Do you want me to come and get you? You know I can come any day.. You just need to tell me..." Her voice broke as she talked. It wasn't the first time. This has been going on since last year, when I decided to leave New York and come to North Carolina to complete my last two years of High School.

"Gg, please.. You know why I don't want to go back there..." I closed my eyes as the past started engulfing my mind.

"No, I don't!" She snapped angrily, "I don't know why you took such an idiotic decision and I don't know how you both children grew so much audacity that you could talk back to your parents and insult them however way you feel right.."

A sole tear escaped my eye, "Gg.." I whispered.

Immediately her voice broke down, "Oh, sweetie, am so sorry.. I didn't mean to scold you like that.." She sniffed, "It's just that, I'm getting so old, and I haven't seen you both for such a long time.. I don't know how long my poor heart can bear this.."

Gg was my great-grandmother- Annabella. She was 85 and she was still quite healthy for her age.

"Gg, don't say that.. You are still going to live another fifty years without being called old.." I giggled.

She laughed with me, "I know, right? Even Caleb said the same thing last day..."

And suddenly our laughters died down.. "How is Dad, gg?"

"Nobody is fine here, sweetie... Your Dad, your Mom.. Everyone is so devastated.. I don't know what will happen to this family.. Your Grandpa and Grandma already left for London..."