Chapter 1: New Life

[Jinri's POV]

The steel bars fell down on the floor with a loud clanking sound, making me flinch from my original position. I sighed and snuggled on my velvet scarf as the cool breeze of air circled around my body.

Manager locked the steel bars and heaved a sigh, then threw his sight on me.

"Jinri... the day I've been fearing for years has come." He shook his head sidewards and approached me, his warm hands patting my head.

I nodded. "It's so painful. This restaurant of yours had already become my home, and you already become my family."

My eyes wandered around the whole place, the wooden stools where customers used to sit and have fun with are already vacant. The noisy chatters of the door and the ear-piercing 'ting' of the bell is already gone. It all ended like that.

"Jinri-ah, I am very thankful that I have you as my worker here at my little business." He cackled a raspy laughter. "You're very young, you have all the time in the world to achieve your dreams." He continued.

"I hope I'm beside you as you go on to the next chapter of your life. I know you'll be successful in your life. I would love to watch you pursuing your dreams... but this old ahjussi just can't be with you anymore, little girl." We both chuckled.

"Take this." He handed me a brown envelope, already crumpled on the corners. I took a peek inside and saw money inside it. I was about to shook my head and say 'no', but he quickly smile at me and pushed my hands towards me. "Take it, Jinri. That's all I can give to you. Consider that your last salary from me. Use it in anyway you want, or maybe you can deposit it to a bank to grow some interest with it."

I almost tear-up. "Thanks, Manager." I bowed down to him.

"Ah, stop doing that." He told me. "You always bow down to me like I'm a CEO or what. You don't have to be too formal to me, Jinri."

He approached me and engulfed me into a warm hug. "I'll miss my daughter." He sighed.

"I'll miss you too. Thank you so much for everything." I said.

He pulled away and patted my head. "Young girl, you should be going now. You had a long day towards you. Keep safe, okay?"

I nodded and grabbed my luggages. "Nae. I will never forget you. Thank you and goodbye." I waved my hand and turned my back on him, and started walking away.

-----

"Let's see..." I licked my thumb and turned the next page of the newspaper. "Saleslady... Teacher's aid... Secretary..." I scanned my fingers at the Classified Ads section.

Must be Highschool graduate

I sighed to myself. Of course they would hire someone who atleast attain a highschool diploma. And that's not me.

Not that I did not study; I was already at my 9th grade in highschool when I decided to stop because I can't sustain my study anymore. My salary is not enough to buy all the books and neccessities for school.

I was chewing the corner of my lip as I tried to search for a job that doesn't require a highschool attainment until I reached the last ad; and I found nothing.

"A job and a home would not fall from the sky so..." I stood up and stretched my legs and began strolling the city.

The autumn wind was unbelievably strong. The dried leaves and twigs are scatterred everywhere, some papers and plastics can be also seen.

The wind blew once more and to my shock, a white paper hit my face.

"Aigoo." I said and removed the paper out of my face. I was about to throw it away but I noticed some small fonts written in it.

I stretched the paper to remove the crumples and read.

URGENT HIRING
MAID

Female
Atleast 16 years of age
With pleasing personality

Visit at *******, Seoul

I smiled to myself. "Thanks, autumn wind."

I quickly hailed a taxi and instructed the driver at my destination. He revved up the engine and hit the road.

The quiet ambiance of the cab made me think of many things.

Maid? I haven't taken care of anyone except myself. I don't have the experience of being a maid. Will that be hard?

If the odds are in my favor and they accept me, what should I do? Should I say, "Actually I haven't been a maid before.", or, "Please teach me how to take care."

I shook my head. That's innately embarrassing.

I exhaled and closed my eyes.

No, I've gone too far. If I can't take this job, I'll have to sleep on the streets tonight and find for another job like this. With experience or none, I shall pass the hiring and do the best I can.

"Miss, we're here." The deep voice of the driver made me flinch from my position.

I nodded. "Nae, I'm sorry." I bowed my head and paid him before hopping out of the taxi.

"Wah~"

I checked the address again to verify, and it was correct. I rubbed my eyes and pinch my cheeks to check if I'm just dreaming.

It was a mansion.

With curiousity, I approached the mansion and tiptoed to peek over the gates; but I was so small I wasn't even able to reach the top.

"Ah, this is the type I saw in those dramas. The house of the CEOs and presidents." I gasped.

I was about to get my phone from my pocket to take a picture of it when I remembered the actual situation.

"Shin Jinri, you're here to apply. Quit wasting time." I nagged at myself.

I swiped down my skirt and pressed the doorbell.

But no one responded. I tilted my head to the side and pressed the doorbell once more.

From my position, I can hear the gates being opened from inside. The gates parted away, and revealed a man in a suit.

"Hello, young lady. How can I help you?"