Chapter 3

Chris

The past two months of training went by quick and was pretty easy. Darren knew just about everything due to his previous job. He's a cool dude. We hung out a few times outside of work. Today is the day that I'm getting transferred. I don't want to but I don't have a choice. I put on my uniform and made sure everything was secure before I left home.

I arrived at the prison 15 minutes later. I parked my car and walked across the parking lot. "Maximum Security" I sighed to myself as I read words on the building door

"Just the man I wanted to see" David, my new boss, came over to me. "August! Get over here" He yelled "Chris, this is August. He'll be showing you around today" We greeted each other with a handshake and David left us to ourselves.

August decided to give me a tour of the place since I didn't know where anything was.

"You from minimum right?" He asked as we walked

"Yeah. I am"

"Cool. Max ain't that bad. You just gotta know how to deal with these females around hea'. They mean but you'll get used to it" he laughed

~~~

"Down this hall is solitary" August pointed

I nodded

"While we right hea' I'ma go head and get my home girl outta hea'. She been on lock down for two months. I'ma take ha back to ha cell since we goin there next anyway" he chucked

"What she do?" I followed behind him

"Oh she a lil violent thang. This time she in hea' for breakin a gaurd arm" He shook his head

My eyes widened. "Hold on bruh" I stopped walking causing August to stop and turn around "Is this the same inmate that broke somebody hand?"

"Yea, she the one."

"You have to get her now? She can't wait?"

He laughed loudly "She ain't gon kill ya, she cool. Just know that she basically run shit around hea' and you good"

We continued to walk down the long hall until we reached the last door on the right. He paged the control center for them to unlock the cell. The door slowly slid open and my heart started to beat faster. I waited in the hall while he went inside.

"Come on Jas, time to go" I heard August say and I heard handcuffs

"Finally. It felt like I was in here forever" I heard a girl, which I'm guessing is 'Jas', respond

Seconds later August walked out of the cell with the girl. She looked up at me and I was shocked. She's beautiful.

"Who is this?" She looked at August

"I'm Chris" I answered for him

~~~

"What's her name?" I asked August as I pointed to 'Jas'

"I call ha Jas but ha name is Jasmine. Jasmine Brooks, she in hea' for murder. Been in hea' four years already."

I nodded taking in all the information August was telling me.

How can somebody so beautiful be capable of something like murder? I guess everyone has a breaking point. My mind wondered as I watched her interact with other inmates.

Jasmine

"Don't look now but the new guard over there has been watching you since you came back" Candy spoke as we sat at the table

I gave her a stale look. "Where's Jessie? I didn't see any of her stuff when I went to my cell"

"Oh. She got released about two days ago"

Before I could respond, the buzzer went off indicating that we had to return to our cells. The hour of recreational time that we get goes by so quick.

I sat on my bed and watched as the cell closed. Another 23 hours stuck in here. I'm surprised I haven't went crazy yet. I laughed at that thought. Since I had nothing to do I laid down and drifted off to sleep.

2:38 AM

My eyes fluttered open and I sat up stretching. Everything was quiet and the lights were still off. I stood at the cell door and looked around. The new gaurd, I think his name is Chris, was on the night shift tonight. I watched as he looked around. I could tell he was bored by the expression on his face.

"Hey!" I semi-yelled

He quickly looked in my direction. His face grew confused, I guess he didn't know which cell the voice came from.

"Come here, cell 118"

He walked over and stood in front of my cell

"What time is it?" I asked

"It's......" He looked at his watch "2:40 in the morning. Why? You got somewhere to be?" He joked

"Ha ha, very funny" I smiled "You working every night?"

"I'm not sure." He leaned against the bar, staring at me

"Could you not" I covered my face with my hands

"What? I can't look at a beautiful girl?" He smirked

I blushed at his words. We continued to talk until his shift was over. I learned a few basic things about him. He's 25 and single with no kids. His birthday is May 5th and his favorite color is red. I also shared some facts about me, nothing major though. He seems nice and I could get used to seeing his face around here.