Chapter 14

Chris

I walked into my boss' office and sat down. There was a long silence before he said anything.

"So I guess you think I'm stupid? Or do you think I just dont pay attention?" He leaned forward "Why the fuck was your name added to the visitation list for Jasmine Brooks? What did I tell you?"

"I just wanted to see her. That's all."

"So everything I said just went out the damn window huh? Relationships between officers and inmates is not acceptable!" He stood up

"I understand."

"No. You don't. This shit is nothing to play with. I can have you arrested right now."

I quickly sat up.

"But. I'm going to go the simple route." He sat on the edge of the desk "You're fired." He smiled "Now get the fuck out of my office."

I stood up and walked out. I sat in my car. What am I going to do now?

"Fuck!" I hit the steering wheel. I pulled out of the parking lot and went home.

Jasmine

"Brooks. Your lawyer is here. Come with me."

I walked behind the guard to a conference room. I sat at the table across from my lawyer.

"Hi Stephen."

"It's good to see you. How are you?"

"Surprisingly good." I laughed

"I see here that you haven't been in trouble for a while now. I showed your progress to the judge and you now have a release date. Once you get out, you will be on house arrest for 90 days. I'll explain about that once we get to that point. Any questions?"

"When is my release date?"

"Exactly 4 months from today."

"Will I see you again before those 4 months go by?"

"Actually you will. You have to go to court and agree to all the terms. You'll probably see me once a month now. You're almost there."

"Thank you so much. For everything. I never thought I'd be free again. I really appreciate this."

"It's my job Jas."

I shook my head. "No, you have done your job times 10 for me."

"I hate to interrupt this but she has a visitor." A guard came in.

"I'll see you soon." I told Stephen before walking to the visitation room.

I walked in and ran over to the table.

"Mom!" I hugged her "I missed you so much. You didn't tell me you were coming today."

"Surprise." She smiled

"I'm coming home mom." I smiled through the tears. "I got my release date today."

She pulled me in to a tight hug. "My baby is coming home. When are they letting you out?"

"4 months from now."

"That's soon. I have to get your room ready. You need clothes, shoes. What size do you wear?"

I laughed at her eagerness. "Calm down mom, we have plenty of time for all of that."

"I'm just so excited. Everyone asks about you."

I rolled my eyes. "They can ask but can't drive 20 minutes to see me? Excuse my language but fuck them."

We both laughed but my smile quickly dropped.

"What's wrong?" My mom asked

"Why are you here?" I looked behind her at Chris.

He sighed. "Can I talk to you please?"

"We don't have anything to talk about Chris. You're not even supposed to be here."

"I got fired." He held his head down

"Wow. I didn't see that coming." I said sarcastically. "Can you just come back a different day. I'm trying to spend time with my mom right now."

He nodded and turned around.

"Who is that?" My mom asked

I sighed "A guy I met when I was at the other facility."

"He's cute." She leaned in

"Mom, stop." I laughed

"Times up! Inmates get back to your designated areas. Visitors please exit through this door." The guard instructed

I gave my mom 1 last hug before she left. I went back to my sleeping area and sat on my bed.

"How was the meeting?" Morgan rushed over

I sighed and put my head down

"Bad news?" She asked

I shook my head. "Im getting outta here!" I jumped up