Chapter 15

Jasmine

"You gonna eat that?" I eyed the fruit on Morgan's tray.

"Nah, you can have it."

"Thanks." I grabbed her tray

"You fat as hell." Morgan laughed

"Shut up."

"Your boyfriend hasn't been back?" Adiyah asked

"He isn't my boyfriend and the last time he was here was about 2 1/2 months ago. He sends letters sometime." I shrugged

"You don't miss him?"

I sighed "Of course I do but I'm no good for him." I stood up and threw my trash away.

I walked out of the cafeteria and went to my bed. Morgan came and sat beside me.

She poked my stomach. "You getting fat fam."

"I'm eating good. Fuck you mean." I laughed "Do you see these snacks." I held up a medium sized box

"I hear you." She laughed "How was court yesterday?"

"Cool. Stephen had already explained everything to me."

"How did it feel being outside of the jail."

"No different. I was still in this stupid uniform and handcuffs."

I grabbed a cup of applesauce out my box and opened it. "Want some?"

"Nah." Morgan walked over to her bed.

"More for me." I smiled.

I dipped my cheetos over in the applesauce and ate it.

"What the fuck are you eating?" Adiyah walked over

"Here, try it." I held up a cheeto with applesauce on it.

"No thank you." She sat beside Morgan

"Let's go to the TV room." Morgan got up and we followed her.

We all sat at the round table and Morgan turned on the TV.

"I'm ready to get out of here." I groaned

"You don't have long. Chill out."

"I know but it-"

"Shhhh." Morgan stopped me. "They are about to announce the NBA draft picks."

I rolled my eyes and slid down in the chair.

"The top five picks are: James Williams, Mike Perry, Ricquan Johnson, Sean Marshall and Christopher Brown."

I quickly sat up and turned towards the tv. Chris' face was on the screen. I instantly felt sick. I jumped up and ran over to the trashcan. Morgan held my hair back as I threw up.

"You ok?" She rubbed my back

I nodded. "I'ma go lay down."

I walked to my bed and sat there. Why wouldn't he tell me something like that? That's a big accomplishment. Maybe that's why he hasn't been back. I definately don't need to mess that up for him.

~~~~

"Looks like your man is a baller."

"Shut up and throw the ball."

Morgan threw the ball into the hoop. I ran after it and dribbled back up the court. I shot the ball from half court and it went in easily.

"You see that? That's skill" I teased Morgan.

"Yea, yea. You be cheating."

"Whatever" I playfully pushed her.

We walked back into the building. As I approached my bed, there was an envelope laying there.

I picked it up and it was a letter from Chris. He says that he set up a bank account for me and my mom has the card.

I appreciate everything that he's doing but I can't accept this from him. It's not right.

I placed the letter over on my desk, in a pile with the others. I laid on my bed and drifted off to sleep.