Chapter eight: Do Walkers Have Thoughts?

The cold breeze hit me like a tonne of bricks. I felt the wind pushing against my body as I travelled the long road where Finley and Annabelle were headed. I hoped they hadn't gotten themselves into any trouble. They were gone for a while, it wouldn't have taken them that long to grab a few supplies.

Unless they were cornered by the dead.

I passed the long street of houses and came across a roundabout that led into three different directions. I sighed, not knowing the way to the store because I was too caught up with my sick son to ask. I didn't know this area very well, it was my first time being around this town. Heck, I didn't even know what city we're in anymore.

I lost my map to the state and I lost my vision of what this town used to be.I decided to wing it and take a right, there was no harm in finding other supplies on the way to finding the rest of our new yet small group. I saw more houses that looked similar to the ones on the street that we were staying at, I brushed it off and continued to walk. I gripped my gun, ready to use it at any moment.

The leaves from the trees were all over the road where I stood, making a small noise as I walked even further down the road. It was silent and I felt that anything could come and get me at any given moment. I travelled even further until I came up to a dead end.

I sighed heavily as I turned around and walked straight back to the roundabout. It took me a while before I finally reached the roundabout again, I turned left and travelled down an empty road with a forest on both sides. Anything deadly could be walking through that forest.

They could see me. They could smell me. They could hear me. Anything was possible.

*

I was hoping that this road led me to the others because if I didn't find them soon, they could be too far gone. I walked pass old cars that had been left here with no use to me. I continued to walk until I saw a small store at the end of the road.

It was surrounded by walkers.

No wonder Annabelle and Finely hadn't returned yet. I bet they were trapped in there. I had to find my way around the walkers before I could get to whatever was inside. The walkers were all around the store, hobbling like someone who was sleep walking.

Their skins had faded away and were nearly crumbling while blood was all around their corpses. They were just circling the place but none of them seemed to be hungry enough to attack whatever was inside. If anything was inside.

I turned left and headed into the forest, I kept my eyes on the walkers. I had a pretty good view on all of them. They were moaning and groaning, that seriously gave me nightmares. I hid behind a perfectly tall tree that blocked me away from the dead, I clutched my gun which sat inside my gun pocket on my belt. The bullets were ready if I needed them and I had a spare knife just in case.

I picked up my gun very slowly and I aimed it towards the next road ahead. I fired the gunshot, making all the walkers look up and follow the noise. I ran away from the direction of the sound and I hid behind another tree, near the edge of the road. I used my good hearing senses to follow the sound of their footsteps and their moaning. I looked towards the store and saw no walker in sight. I turned my head and see that the walkers were slowly walking off in the direction of the sound that was unexpected to them.

It made me wonder how smart a walker was. Could they think like we do? Did they have thoughts telling them what to do?

I crouched down while running across the street and into the store, closing the door behind me. It was foggy in here and it was hard to clear my vision. I pulled my gun up in front of me and cleared the mist with my free hand.

The place was a mess, what was left of it. It looked like it was small convenience store. At the end of a forest? I looked for any sign of life or any sign that Annabelle and Finley had passed through here. The store was empty and so was most of the supplies. I had hoped that Annabelle and Finley had quickly passed through here and headed back with everything they needed.

But wouldn't I had seen them? Not if I went in the other direction first. This didn't look like a drug store and I couldn't find anything useful here. No movement was detected by my eye sight as the fog had almost cleared. It looked like a flare gun had been used in here. I picked it up and noticed that it had definitely been used in an attack.

Who would use a flare gun inside? Unless it was used as a weapon. Someone had been in here and whoever it was, they're already gone.

*

I slowly trailed back to where I came from, I collected all of the supplies that I could but it wouldn't last us. I did find some more flare guns and a box of bullets that could come in handy one day. Anything would come in handy these days. I followed the trail back to the house where my family was staying, I hoped they were okay.

Maybe Annabelle and Finley had gone back to the house with everything that my wife and son needed. They must have gone on a different road. They were smart people and they knew how to get back home.

I finally reached the house where we had been staying at. I cleared my throat and looked up to see that the door was wide open. The door was open. I quickly raced up the stairs and onto the porch where I raced inside to saw it crawling with walkers.

They saw me and groaned as they saw I was edible for them to chew on. There were about a dozen of walkers that I couldn't fight off by myself.

I started shooting, trembling back outside. I slammed the door shut, making the walkers crash into it and trying to reopen it again. Where was Lori and Carl, were they safe? Where was Finley and Annabelle? I didn't see any sign of human life but I didn't see any blood either.

They must be alive. They had to be.