Chapter two: Protection.

"What do you want?" I asked softly as my wife, son and unborn child were backed against a wall with a gun to their faces.

"We want you to leave." One man said as he clicked his gun.

"Okay," I breathed, "just lower your gun first." The man aiming the gun just stared at me. He looked in his sixties, he had grey hair and a grey beard. The two other men looked almost identical, like they could be twins. The man didn't lower his gun down. "Let my family go." I pleaded without them noticing.

He turned to look at his men and nodded. They lowered their guns and took take my wife's arm and my son's and shoved them towards me. They both stumbled as they stood directly behind me. "Why can't you find another house? There are houses all around this neighbourhood that hasn't been touched and they should be filled with supplies." I told the three men.

The old guy still held his gun directly at us. "Just leave."

"Okay." I placed my hands up and I moved towards them.

"Let us get our things first." I said.

He shook his head. "No, just leave!" He yelled, clicking his gun.

I nodded. "Okay." I did that for the protection of my family, if I died then they died. I picked up my gun and placed it behind my shirt as I moved back towards them, not knowing their reaction. I backed closer to them and I signalled for them to leave the house. "Come on." I whispered as we left.

"Dad." Carl said, looking annoyed.

"I'm sorry, I had to protect you." I told him as we left the street.

"Rick, what are we going to do with no food or water?" Lori asked, sounding worried.

"We'll figure it all out. Right now we need a safe place." I told her as she took Carl's hand and linked her arm to mine.

"Where's safe, Rick?" Lori began to yell as she moved away from me.

I stopped in my tracks as I turned to her. "There's never a safe place." I said softly but her face expression grew angrier. "I'm trying here, Lori. To keep you and our son safe." I reassured her.

"But you just let them have our supplies." She retaliated.

I looked at Carl was is still holding Lori's hand, he looked scared while holding his gun in the other. "I had no choice. They would have killed us." I said in an angry tone.

"Ans look where that got us." She threw her hands up in the air.

I sighed as I continued walking. "Come on, we must go." I said bluntly and they followed behind me, not saying a single word. Lori was pregnant with my child, nine months until that baby was born. She said bringing a baby into this world was the wrong decision but I convinced her to keep it.

We walked along a deserted road and our footsteps made a sound as it walked on the gravel on the road. That street was long gone by now and we traveled in silence.

*

We came across an old deserted car that looked like it had been there for months. Lori found the keys and tried to start it up. She turned the ignition but nothing happened.

She sighed in defeat and shrugged. "Worth a try."

Carl looked around the car for supplies but he found nothing. "It's all cleared out."

I signalled that it was time to leave and and to find a safe place to stay. "Do you think we'll find the others?" Carl asked as we continued on the road.

"I don't know, I hope so." I smiled at him.

"Walker." Lori stopped in her tracks as she placed Carl behind her, it was just the one.

I pulled out my knife because I didn't want my gun shot to attract anymore. I walked up to it as it tried to grab me. I plunged the knife into its scull, making it crash onto the ground and lie even deader than it was before.

"Let's get moving." I looked behind me as Lori held her stomach.

"What's the matter?" I asked in worry as I walked back to them.

She covered her mouth and breathed in and out. She swallowed. "It's nothing." I placed my hand on her back as we continued to walk. After a while of walking, we spotted a small convenience store. Carl face lit up as he noticed it, with no walkers in sight.

"Maybe we can get some food." He said happily as we trailed slowly over to the small building. It looked deserted as we approached it. I banged on the door a couple of times and waited a few minutes to see if anything came out.

Silence.

I slowly opened the door as I raised my gun. The store was dark and half empty with shelves knocked over but it looked like we could salvage some food. Lori and Carl followed as we examined the store.

"Get what you can." I said as Lori and Carl dug for the things that we needed. I headed towards the back counter where I noticed a medicine cabinet.

I sighed with relief, maybe we can could some vitamins or something to keep Lori and the baby healthy. I bent down and noticed a lock, I used the back of my gun to knock it open. As it broke, I unlocked it and searched through the cabinet.

There were many pills that were prescribed to an Alan Turner. I took a few that might come in handy. I smiled as I saw the vitamins for Lori. This should help her and the baby to keep healthy.

"Stop right there." A young women's voice echoed throughout the store. I slowly turned around and I was right. She was young.

I wanted to get my gun on the ground but, I had to play this one out. She was more like Beth's age, with medium length blond hair. Her brown eyes stared into mine with anger like I've taken something from her. I slowly got up and raised my hands as she was holding a shape knife.

"I was only getting supplies for my family." I told her.

She glared at me. "Why are you taking my stash?"

"My wife is pregnant so I was getting her some supplies to keep the baby healthy." I told her truthfully.

"It's a shit world to have a baby." I nodded as she gripped the knife even tighter.

"Rick?" Lori ran in as Carl followed with a candy bar in his hand.

"Dad!" Carl shouted, sounding worried.

"It's okay." I reassured him.

The girl smirked as she turned towards my son holding the candy bar. "No one takes my shit." She moved closer to me as I pulled out my gun but she bet me to it. Her knife plunged into my stomach, making me wince in pain.

"Rick!" Lori yelled as she pulled out her own gun and aimed it at the girl who just stabbed me. I collapsed onto the ground as it all went black. Maybe this time I could get some sleep for a little while.