Chapter 5

The next day was the worst day of my life. The skies were gloomy as we left our homes, discovering the multiple dead bodies scattered amongst the village. I only thought about one person; Niklaus.

I had to find him.

My heart raced as I rushed over to his cottage. Knocking on the door, I waited impatiently for someone to answer. I was greeted by Esther.

"Is Niklaus home?" I asked her. She nodded her head, calling to the boy. I let out a sigh of relief, knowing that he was okay.

"You must come inside to speak with him. I'm afraid he is ill," she told me, causing me to worry once more. I stepped inside, noticing that all of the windows were covered. Why did they want it so dark in here?

"Madeline?" Niklaus' voice tore my attention from the house. I smiled as I ran to him, being engulfed into his arms. I rested my head on his chest, happy to see him in good condition.

"Klaus," I breathed out happily. "You don't look ill. Your mother claimed that you were sick, but you seem healthy as ever to me."

"I've had a bit of a cough," he scratched his neck. I could tell that he was lying. I crossed my arms over my chest disapprovingly. "Why did you come?"

I had forgotten about the terrors outside.

"Some darkness has struck," I explained. "Bodies are laid all throughout the village, Niklaus. I wanted to make sure you were alright."

"I'm fine," he said, refusing to look me in the eye.

"What's wrong with you today?"

"I don't know what you mean. I am no different than I have been any other day. I assure you everything is okay."

His eyes trailed down to my neck. His eyes darkened and the veins under them began to pop. I backed away in fear. What was happening to him?

"Niklaus," I gasped. He quickly looked away from me. I found my heart once again racing as I waited for an explanation. I was so lost.

"You need to leave," he ordered. I didn't move. I was too scared and mostly too concerned to leave him. "Now!" His voice raised, and I had to admit that I was terrified. I ran out the door without hesitation.

"Madeline, are you alright?" Isaac asked as I ran straight into him. I only answered by crying. My brother held me in his arms protectively.

"H-he's changed," I stutter. "He's lying to me and keeping secrets. I don't know the man I saw."

"What kinds of secrets?"

"Dark ones," I assumed. "Something happened last night, brother. All of the Mikaelsons are acting suspicious. Their windows are covered up, blocking out the sun. His eyes changed. It was horrifying."

"Creatures of the night," Isaac whispered in disbelief. "You're describing creatures of the night, sister! Esther has tapped into a dark enchantment."

"What has she done to her family?"

"Evil," he answered, staring at their home.

•••

It was night fall, and I knew that I usually snuck out to see Niklaus, but I was too scared. He wasn't the same. I was far too afraid to face him. A light tap at the window stirred me awake.

I glanced up to see him smiling through the glass. I hesitantly walked over to the door and opened it. He grabbed my hand, pulling me outside.