Chapter 19

"What do I owe you now?" I asked in frustration. If my friends had just listened to me, I wouldn't be in this predicament. I would be in New York. But I would also be dying.

I would rather be dead than be indebted to Niklaus Mikaelson. That I could say honestly. I knew just how twisted he was. Making a deal with him was worse than making one with the devil himself. It appears that my friends have just gotten me into more trouble than I was in to begin with. I watched Klaus as he recomposed himself and stood from his seat. He approached the bed, leaning towards me. He was merely inches away from my face.

"Give me a day," he said simply. "Give me twenty-four hours to prove to you that I truly regret all that I've done to you. Give me a second chance. If not your permanent forgiveness, than just pretend for the day that you don't loathe me."

"How are you planning on doing that exactly?"

"Just let me try," he avoided the question. I found myself growing frustrated as I stared into his deep blue eyes. I could remember a time when I would stare mindlessly into them for what seemed like hours. I would find myself getting lost in the seas of blue.

"You have one day, Klaus."

"It's all I need."

••••

After our conversation, I found myself back in the boarding house. To my surprise, no one was home. They were probably avoiding me since they stabbed me in the back. I wandered into my room, taking a shower and throwing on a change of clothes. I sauntered back out, pulling my hair into a tight ponytail. I jumped in surprise when I spotted Klaus sprawled out in my bed. I glared at him in return.

"Your mattress is quite comfortable," he smirked.

"It's even better when you aren't on it," I frowned as I walked over to my door. I slipped on my shoes before walking out of the room. As I reached the front door, Klaus vamped in front of my face. I backed away, glaring at him. "Where are we going?"

"Down memory lane," he answered, lacing our hands together and pulling me out the door.

•••

"Do you remember this place?" He questioned as we reached an opening in the woods. I glanced around curiously.

"This is where Isaac taught you to shoot," I smiled fondly as I thought of my brother.

"It's also where we met," Klaus pointed out.

"I liked my answer better," I rolled my eyes at him. I stepped around him, imagining my brother drawing his bow towards their targets. I could almost see his arrogant smile as he turned around. Such a show off my brother was.

"I buried them here," Klaus stating, causing me to look at him in confusion. "The bow and arrows. My guilty conscious wouldn't allow me to carry them with me after what I had done to him."

He buried my brother's bow and arrows. I could remember the day my father had given them to him. He had them engraved specially for him. He was so proud of them. My brother treasured those bows with his life and now Klaus had taken both his life and the bows. I looked around, searching for any fault in the ground that might signify where he buried them. It seemed useless to even look for them in such an open area.

"Where are they?" I asked the hybrid in annoyance as I finally gave up. He only smirked as he walked over to a nearby tree and grabbed two shovels that I hadn't noticed earlier.

"That's the hard part. I figured we could look together. Perhaps it would give us some time to bond."

"You didn't mark the spot?" I asked in disbelief. How big of an idiot was he? I jerked a shovel from his grasp and trudged over to a random spot before plunging the shovel deep into the dirt.

"I hadn't planned on coming back for them, Madeline."

"And I hadn't planned on you coming back for me, but I was somewhat prepared for if you did," I snapped back at him.

"And how exactly did you prepare yourself?" Klaus asked as he shoveled away beside a huge Oak tree. I refused to look at him as I angrily slung dirt out of my way.

"By accepting the fact that you'll be the death of me one day," I stopped shoveling as I said this. It was so quiet, that I'm sure the average human would've missed it, but I knew Klaus heard it perfectly. I slowly met his gaze. My eyes landed on the box in his hands. He looked sad before he quickly concealed his hurt. He brought the box to his lips before blowing some of the dirt and dust from it.

"Here," he said softly as he handed the box over to me. I hesitantly took it from him before opening the clasp on the front. The top swung open, revealing my brother's prized possession. I picked one out and examined it with a slight smile tugging on my lips.

"Thank y-" I began, but he was gone.