Chapter 15

"Klaus, please don't do this!" I begged as we headed past Wickery Bridge. "You know if we go back to Mystic Falls, the deal is off."

"Madeline, you aren't my biggest concern," Klaus snapped at me. This whole time he had been trying to convince me that he still cared, yet he was just gonna let me go again.

"You know what Klaus? You're a dick! The only reason you're building this army is because you know your family won't trust you ever again after what you have done to them. The girl you once loved hates you for your betrayal. And lastly, your parents. You killed your mother and your father has spent his entire life as a vampire devoted to your death. You're just a scared little boy, Niklaus! Just like you always were!" I yell at him. It was a bit harsh, but he was about to kill my friends.

"I will not be spoken to like that!" He turned to face me, slamming the breaks. We were in the parking lot of Mystic Falls High. He stomped over to the back door, flinging it open and jerking me out of the car. Oh he was mad. I stood to my feet, dusting myself off. The pain quickly went away as the scrapes healed.

"What are you gonna do? Kill me again?"

The expression on his face changed just as it always did when I brought up what he had done to me. It was like guilt had begun to well up in him. He slowly walked closer to me, becoming calmer by the second. His hands hesitantly cupped my face, pushing any stray hairs behind my ears in the process. He stared deeply into my eyes as I became mesmerized like I had when I was human.

"Maybe," he whispered before snapping my neck. Then everything went black.

•••

When I came to, I was in an all too familiar room. I snuggled deeper into the bed. I had always envied Damon for his mattress. It was the most comfortable thing in the world. I was convinced. I was debating on going back to sleep when the door opened. His dark hair peeked around the corner before he came in, sitting down on the edge of the bed.

"You're an idiot," he scolded me. "We could've gotten you away from Klaus, but no. You just had to keep your deal with him. You're lucky he didn't kill you for good, Maddie."

"I'm fine Damon," I rolled my eyes. "Klaus won't kill me. It's almost like he can't. Something is preventing him from doing it. Guilt perhaps."

"Guilt? In order to feel guilt, he'd have to have a heart. The dude doesn't care! You need to be more careful or we won't be seeing you anymore."

"I'm sorry about Andy," I changed the subject. I could see him stiffen at the mention of her name. Damon had obviously cared for the girl, despite his love for Elena. "Klaus was going to kill you if you kept following us. I couldn't let that happen. I thought if I made you upset, you wouldn't want to find me anymore."

"I'm always going to look for you."

"I'll always look for you too," I smiled at my best friend before pulling him into a warm hug. "Thanks for caring, Day."

•••

"It's nice to have you back, Maddie," Elena welcomed me as I walked into the kitchen. I hadn't realized that she was here, so I was a bit surprised when I saw her. She was standing over the stove, cooking what smelt like bacon.

"It's good to be back," I agreed. "So what exactly happened when I was out? I thought Klaus was going to kill you?"

"Yeah, well I could say the same for you," she retorted.

"Turns out Klaus needs Elena's blood to make more hybrids. He's agreed to peace as long as he gets what he wants," Stefan joined the conversation as he walked into the room.

"Now the big bad wolf has his monthly subscription to Elena," Damon joked as he too came into the kitchen. I began to feel the warmth radiating off of everyone. It was making me feel a little sick to my stomach.

"That sucks," I frowned sympathetically, trying to push any thoughts of what was happening to me aside. I needed to see Gloria.

"At least I'm alive," she shrugged.

"Maddie, are you alright?" Stefan asked in concern. I slowly looked over at him, feigning confusion. I didn't want him to become suspicious. "You're really pale."

"I'm a vampire, Stefan," I tried to play if off. "I think I'm gonna go lay down. My neck is still a bit sore." I hated to lie to my friends, but something was wrong. I didn't want them to worry about me or accuse Klaus of casting some voodoo on me. I wanted to be rid of the hybrid forever, but I knew he held the solution that I needed. I just didn't want to stoop down to him. I didn't want to give him the upper hand. I couldn't. It'd go to his head.

Until then I sat on Damon's bed in silence as I watched my veins flash a deep red. The color slowly flowed to the same spot on my wrist, where it began to form the all too familiar mark. The skin burned, but I tried to ignore it as I curled into a ball and clutched my wrist close to my chest. I closed my eyes, wishing it all had been a dream. I wished that I hadn't ever went out that day to see what my brother was doing so early. I wished I never met Niklaus. I wished Isaac never turned.

I dug my hand into the back pocket of my jeans, feeling the piece of paper crinkle as I touched it. I pulled it out and slowly unfolded it. I smiled as I looked the picture over, imagining that it was real. That I had been watching over Isaac as he was a wolf. I imagined that I could've prevented the tragedy that had occurred; the horrors.

But I couldn't.