Chapter 16

"No no no," I refused the boys. "I am not helping you bring back that - that monster! Mikael is way worse than Klaus could ever be. I'd rather deal with ten of Klaus than one Mikael."

"Don't be so dramatic," Damon rolled his eyes.

"What's so awful about him?" Elena pressed, ignoring Damon's comment. I looked around at the trio, wondering where to even begin.

"He's a horrible person," I began. "He beat Klaus as a child. He blamed him for his brother's death. He turned his family into vampires, and then he spent the remainder of his life trying to hunt them down."

"Sounds like just the guy we need," Damon huffed.

"Yes, Mikael would help you kill Klaus, but then he would kill you all," I tried to warn him. "Mikael despises vampires. He feeds off of them instead of humans. He's the vampire vampire slayer."

"Damon, if Maddie is right, then I don't think this is a good idea," Stefan said unsurely. His brother looked at him in disbelief.

"So you're going to let Elena be a walking blood bank for the rest of her life?" He asked angrily. "Some boyfriend you are."

"Because you would make a much better one, wouldn't you?" Stefan fired back at him. "You've done nothing but cause her trouble since the minute you came back to town."

"Woah, did I miss something?" I questioned.

"We'll talk about this later!" Elena exclaimed in frustration. "Right now, I need to go home. Jeremy is probably worried sick. Maddie, can you please help them figure something out?"

"Of course I can," I agreed.

I wasn't necessarily a big fan of Elena, but I knew that she meant a lot to Damon and Stefan. If she was important to them, she was important to me. I would make sure to help her in any way possible. However, I didn't think summoning Mikael was the best call. I looked back at the brothers who were currently glaring at each other. There was so much tension in the room. I frowned as I watched their intense stare down.

"Care to explain what's going on?" I asked them.

"Damon has a thing for Elena," Stefan said simply.

"What's new?" I rolled my eyes. "You've known that Stefan. It's not caused any problems until now."

"He's mad because she might just like me back," Damon smirked at his brother.

"She told you she had feelings for Damon?"

"No, but I can tell by the way she acts around him. She just-" he stopped himself. "I just know. Katherine was the same exact way."

"Ugh Katherine," I groaned. "That was a fun time. I tried to tell you guys, but no. Katherine is so pretty. Katherine is so funny. I love Katherine-"

"We get it," Damon cut me off. "We have a problem with history repeating itself, okay?"

"Ow," I yelled out in pain. I realized my mistake as the pair looked at me in concern. I quickly faked a smile as I clutched my wrist.

"You said ow?" Damon said in confusion as he reached for my wrist. I pulled it back quickly, knowing how sensitive it was. I also didn't want them to see the mark.

"No, I said owls," I lied, unable to think of anything else.

"Let me see your wrist," Stefan demanded as he moved closer too. I shook my head stubbornly. "Maddie, let us see it. We can't help you if we can't see it. Please, show it to us."

"You couldn't help me even if you wanted to," I sighed as I pulled up my sleeve. I showed them the mark that had now become a darker shade of red. "Only Klaus can."

"He did this to you?" Stefan asked furiously.

"No!" I groaned. "His mother did. I-I don't know how to say this but... I'm a hybrid. This mark is getting deeper because my werewolf venom is finally reacting with my vampire genes. If I don't drink Klaus' blood..."

"What'll happen?" Damon asked.

"I have no idea, but I guess I'll find out eventually," I shrugged. "I'm not going to ask that bastard to help me. He's killed me twice!"

"Maddie, you have no other choice!" Damon yelled.

"She could wait until Mikael killed Klaus. Then she could get some of his blood then," Stefan suggested.

"We are not bringing Mikael into this," I refused.

"You don't have a say," Damon shook his head.

I was so frustrated with these boys. I knew they meant well, but I could figure this out on my own. I could go see Gloria again and maybe she could give me a longer lasting antidote. I stood up from my seat, ignoring the exhaustion that I was feeling. I glanced around the room, looking for my cellphone. I found it sitting on the coffee table. I grabbed it and typed up a text message to a good friend.

How would you feel about a road trip? -Mads

Damon watched my fingers dance across my screen as I hit send. I waited impatiently for a response. I collapsed back onto the couch, feeling drained of any and all energy. Just as I closed my eyes, my phone dinged. I opened them and eagerly checked the screen.

I'm in. -Tyler

"I have it all taken care of. You just worry about your Klaus problem," I grinned.

"So you're just going to go back to Gloria's bar and hope that she'll help you?" Damon rolled his eyes.

"It's my best bet, Damon."

"Damon, Maddie is a grown woman. She can make her own decisions. We can trust her. Just please come back to us, Maddie. We'd hate to lose you," Stefan joined in, defending me.

"I'd hate to lose you guys, too."