Chapter 38

Marcie stomped snow off her boots outside her front door then wearily made her way inside. She tugged off her pack and leathers and gave herself a quick scrub all over with a damp cloth.

She was surprised how exhausted she was.

Dafne had taken the news that she had led a band of mysterious men into the village with a tut and questioned her thoroughly about their motives, much as Roor had done.

While she could not understand their reactions, she was not above suspicion herself.

Aldren wanted something. He wanted it badly enough to risk his own and his companions lives to get it.

And there was only one thing of value in the village, other than myth and legend.

The next evening Marcie went into the village to sell her kills and to see what the strangers were up to.

She went to the tavern and found Jin and Sebastian lounging at one of the tables, surrounded by curious onlookers, most of them hunters out of work for the winter. She recognised Breen, Luce's eldest, several years older than her, listening with rapt attention as Jin told them a story in his flowery way,

"They say a thousand men died that day, and not a single Daygon's hair singed" he finished saying, swigging from a mug of ale,

"Since then The Juggernaut has been declared impassable. The king of the time even wrote a writ proclaiming death to any who set foot over Cathels wall, a writ that is still enforced to this day by The Guard"

Marcie spotted Adlren sitting a few tables away from his companions. She made her way over to him, he greeted her with a beaming smile, so far removed was he from the sullen man she accompanied through the forest that she couldn't help but return the smile with feeling.

Out of the corner of her eye she saw Sebastian follow her progress discreetly.

She sat down opposite Aldren just as Barman came over and placed an ale in from of her,

"Marcie" he said affectionately, waving away the copper coin she offered,

"How is Luce?" she asked, taking a mouthful of ale,

"Still carrying" he said with a frown, "She should ave delivered week ago. Old Witch says she ready but damn thing wont come out"

Marcie patted his large calloused hand in sympathy as she could tell he was worried,

"Let me know if there's anything I can do won't you?" she said,

Barman grunted, then his eyes lighted with humor,

"You know what will get her spirits up? You finally finding a husband. Don't ave to be our Merrick, anyone'll do. She be so happy the babe will probs dance right out" he laughed and Aldren made a choking sound as he tried to drink his ale while laughing.

Marcie blushed and avoided meeting either of their eyes.

Barman wandered off and Aldren took another drink still smiling. She ignored him, too embarrassed to speak, she wondered now why she had decided to sit with the arrogant sod in the first place.

"So-"Aldren said, intent upon breaking the silence "- Marcie No Ones Bride, is there a reason you remain unmarried" he asked, quite innocently,

Marcie shrugged,

"None I can think of" she said dismissively, her face still slightly hot,

"I find it hard to believe one such as yourself is not inundated with daily requests?" he said, still smiling in his smug way,