Chapter 55

They got to Breen's door without much more conversation, Sebastian was so weak by now that Aldren and Jin were supporting nearly his whole weight and he seemed to get paler still when the house finally came into sight.

Marcie led them out of the trees, the house was the only one with windows still lit and so the men could finally see their way. She led them round the small fenced garden where Justyna grew her herbs to the back door, as they neared it opened and Dafne was silhouetted against the warm light of the fire, appearing like a black fade from the old stories. 

"In quickly" was all she said and Marcie held back to allow the two men to heave their friend up the steps and into the warmth, she stepped in herself closing the door and squinting against the brightness.

Breen and Justyna stood side by side, a careful amount of distance kept between them as they watched the three men. Marcie saw Breen and Sebastian's eyes meet but could read nothing of what passed between them. Justyna eyed him with a more professional gaze, "He is weak, he best rest right away, I shall show you where he is staying" she said briskly, then she turned to Marcie, "What on earth possessed you to drag him through the forest in the dark in his condition?" she admonished,

Marcie lifted her shoulders defensively, Justyna had a habit of treating you like a naughty child when she was cross and there was naught a person who could stand up to her when she got it in her too dish out some rebuke or reprimand.

Dafne snorted "Circumstances girly" she said turning her nose up, "Had ta get im out o my house, stinkin up the place wont he, this place be better for im any how"

Justyna eyes her former mentor hard then turned back to the men and directed them up the stairs to the spare room. If there was one person who would not be scolded by anyone, even the formidable Birth Mother, it was Dafne.

Jin and Aldren found an extra dose of strength to carry Sebastian up the short flight of stairs with Breen following quietly behind.

Once Sebastian had been settled (He fell asleep as soon as his head hit the cushion) Justyna set up some spare cots for his companions to sleep in the next room and rummaged through the supplies they had brought, all the while whispering urgently with Dafne about proper treatment.

Breen stared at Sebastian's sleeping form for a long time then shook himself and caught Marcie's eye, he tilted his head in summons and made his way downstairs and outside, closing the door quietly behind him. He leaned on the wall and took out his pipe and began filling it from a little pouch, Marcie waited for him to speak.

He ignited the leaves and blew out the large flame, tapping it with a finger to distribute the heat, took a deep puff and then spoke as smoke tumbled from his mouth,

"So what happened then? I opened my house to them, best let me know" he said regarding her with eyes lost to the dark, his hair lit up by the light pouring from the windows.

She took a place next to him against the house and told him about the Daygon and the wolves in a low murmur.

He listened intently, puffing away at his pipe. When she had finished he handed it over and Marcie took as small a puff as she dared, not being overly keen on the leaves Breen liked to burn, she let the sweet smoke pass up her nose and breathed it out before passing it back.

"Wolves eh" Breen said, "Thats quite something. How many you kill then?"

Marcie thought back, "I dunno" she said with a shake of her head, "Half dozen? Maybe more, maybe less, I wasn't keeping count any how"

"Still, good work, even Ketsa ain't killed him no wolves an hes the best"

Marcie shot him a look, "Not including you of course" he amended with a grin, "We should start calling you Marcie Wolf Killer"

She groaned, "Not you too"

He gave her a peculiar look and she waved it away with a "Never mind"

"Still, wolves attacking to kill, especially a group of people, and you say they had horses with them? Its not usual. I'll need to tell the men, seasons nearly upon us, wont do us no good to run afoul of man eating beasts out there" he said thoughtfully,

Marcie put a hand on his arm, "You cannot tell anyone what happened, you know how they will react, think its a sign or something, say he asked for it and that its a sign from the goddess that he should be cast out, and Aldren and Jin" she said urgently,

He put up his hands, "Aye I wont say what happened, just that there been sightings and to watch their backs, don't worry cousin I wont put him in danger" he eyed her for a moment,

"Why you care any how? They're just outsiders"

Marcie shrugged, "I dunno, they're just...I mean...they're interesting, not like traders, like normal folk from outside, they're different, I like that" she said, "Even if Sebastian is an arse" she added,

"Aye, a nice arse at that" Breen said wistfully. Marcie smacked his arm and he laughed while rubbing at the spot,

"I'm only saying. Say, you had a tumble with the other two yet?" he said innocently,

Marcie smacked him again and he yelped mockingly, "Well, have ya?"

She sighed, "Just the one, Aldren, the tall one"

"Hmm, not bad" Breen said, stroking his chin, the he leaned towards her, "Say, he any good?"

Marcie aimed a kick at him which he dodged and danced out of the way of another one, laughing as he went back into the house.