Chapter 79

Dafne was sitting in a chair she had taken outside especially to watch the truly magnificent storm that was boiling over the forest towards her village.

She loved a storm and this one had been building up for so long she had hoped it would be a good one. She looked to be right and she smiled at the clouds, raising her cup of tea at them and then sipped from the cup daintily.

She laughed and clutched her shawl closer to her as a strong gust of wind rose up out of nowhere and battered her where she sat. On the heels of the wind she spied a thin streak of lightning amidst the clouds and after a long pause, the first faint rumble of thunder. She smiled to herself happily.

And yet...The longer she sat there the more anxious she became. She shuffled her rump in the chair, getting comfortable and adjusted her shawl but the feeling persisted.

She glanced around uneasily, feeling with all her senses out into the village and beyond, something was wrong, very wrong.

It was almost as though the storm was being pulled towards the village, pulled towards the wrongness.

Dafne drained her tea in one gulp then dumped the tea leaves out on the saucer.

She squinted at them, twisting the saucer this way and that.

Then she dropped it.

"Oh no" she said

Then, "Those bloody idiots!"

She swarmed to her feet, anger rising out of her and sweeping across her land. The storm felt it and responded with a flash and crack and boiled ever closer.

Dafne paced back and forth muttering to herself,

"How could i ave not foreseen, well who could a seen they would be so bloody stupid! Oh no, someone is gonna pay fer this, oh yes, my poor  Marcie! But first, first i need..." she snapped her fingers, causing a branch to break on a nearby tree, then raised her fingers to her lips in a whistle.

White Wisdom was with her almost instantly, he seemed as worried as she, his feathers shook and his eyes were narrowed. 

"I need ya to find Dara quick, only reason he not here now is fool girl probably blocking him, too scared, well, she wont be scared fer him no longer, not after this, she's gonna learn that Dragons not meant to be hidden away, no, they meant to fly, jus like her. Now go!"

She flung out her arm and White wisdom disappeared into the trees. She glanced at the storm clouds and muttered "You better not get in her way, ya hear?"

Then she stalked back inside, grabbed a pack and hurried to her supply room where she began shoving herbs and solutions and potions into it. Then she remembered how much Marcie loved to read and hurried back upstairs and grabbed scrolls and books filling the pack to bursting before she was satisfied, then she shouldered it, grabbed a solid looking walking stick from beside the door and strode out back into the storm.

Looking up she snapped at the waiting clouds, "Come on en" and the clouds answered her with a rumble that sent terrified birds leaping from the trees to flight and made Dafne grin.

Together they stalked towards each other, the village in the middle about to be hit with their combined wrath.