Chapter 73

Two more days later Marcie scouted the edge of the village.

She had arrived a few hours before nightfall and so padded through the trees until she was sure no one was outside of their homes then she flitted through the village until she came to the path to the place she once called home.

The sky held only a dark blue tint to it as the last testament to the sun but her superb vision showed her the overgrown mess that at one time she had called her garden.

The cottage was silent to the clucking of the hens that she used to keep but she knew that Luce had most likely instructed Merrick to keep them at the tavern due to her many absences.

She stepped up to the front door, no longer feeling familiar with this building that her father had built for her mother. Just far enough away from the village to make her feel comfortable and away from prying eyes to raise their half blood children.

Now nothing more than stones and mortar.

She stepped up the path to the front door and yanked it open.

A small fire was going in the grate, a single candle was lit on a stool next to her bed, the curtains were drawn back and Miss Maiden sat upon the blankets in a slim brown dress, sewing a delicate flower pattern onto a plain white shirt.

At the sound of the door opening she looked up, her expression resigned. Then, seeing Marcie her eyes widened and she lept to her feet with a gasp,

"Marcie dearest!" she cried and ran across the short space to fling her arms around Marcie's shocked neck.

The coos of "Honey" and "Sweety" died down after while.

Miss Maiden drew her arms back and grasped Marcie's chin in between her small fingers and stared into her eyes,

"Dearest"she said sadly, her eyes full of un shed tears, "A right fine mess you gotten yourself into hmm?"

Marcie smiled, at once happy to see her mentor but also afraid.

She backed away from her until she sat upon the edge of the cot that had once been her fathers. Someone had laid new bedding upon the old frame and the once dank old bed had the feel of one slept in not by a drunkard. She spread her hands over the rough fabric.

"What have you heard?" she asked, after a time, not looking at the other woman.

Miss Maiden rubbed her arms and began walking around the small space,

"Oh honey, you need not worry what they-" she cast a scornful look at the door "- say. They have spoken nothing but ugliness about me for years, nothing ever comes of it, they grow bored, they find something else to natter about, soon-"

"-but it is true" Marcie interrupted, "I am a freak, I am abnormal, I have outsider eyes, I sleep with outsiders, I make men fear me, I have killed a man, I forced a dear friend to kill another, I...I am...I have..." she choked on the last of her words and rubbed her eyes tiredly then raised them to the ceiling.

Miss Maiden seemed at a loss for words, she opened and closed her mouth several times, but no sound escaped.

Marcie could stand it no longer, she stood, took the pack from her shoulders and began stuffing things inside; pots, bowls, utensils, clothes,furs, hunting leathers and shirts, anything small enough to carry.

Miss Maiden found her voice,

"Marcie? Marcie what are you doing?" she asked,

"Packing"Marcie replayed shortly and continued,

Miss Maiden fluttered around wringing her hands making worried noises,

"Oh, oh no, oh dear, Marcie Marcie please, think about this"

"What is there to think about, they want me gone and I am happy to comply"

"I do not wish you gone, you family does not wish you gone"

"A minority"

"Please darling, where will you go?"

"The forest of course"

"Oh no no no, darling its too...its too dangerous!"

Marcie laughed, a short bark of derision,

"Not for me it is not. Not any more"

Miss Maiden paused, "What...what do you mean by that Marcie? Marcie?"

But Marcie remained quiet, already said too much she resumed packing in silence.

She tightened the cord on her pack then grabbed her backup from its nail and began filling that one with all her treasures from the chest under her bed; some sewing her mother had been particularly proud of, wrapped up in paper to preserve it, a few dresses including her fire dress, the small crystal she first took from Dara's cave (lacking its glow), some basic jewellery and her mothers old sewing kit. She heaved both packs onto her shoulders and made for the door.

Miss Maiden chose that moment to grab on of the packs and yank it off her back.

Marcie turned quickly, suddenly angry.

The smouldering coals in the fire caught and jumped into unexpectedly bright flames as did the one candle.

The bright light highlighted the tear tracks on Miss Maiden's cheeks and showed the slow widening of her eyes in shock and fear.

The hand that had grabbed the pack, fell to her side limp.

Marcie let the flames die down, picked up the fallen supplies and opened the creaky door. The night was hot and wet and spoke of a storm in the making.

She began walking but stopped when she heard a small "Marcie" behind her.

She squeezed her eyes shut, willing them not to betray her.

When she was sure her voice would not betray her she said quietly,

"I shall come back...to say goodbye"

Then she hurried into the forest.

Dara had settled in a small clearing far enough away not to be seen but near enough to sense her and he took flight as soon as she reached the forest boundary and followed her deeper into the forest.

Marcie thanked him silently and took the comfort he sent her way.