Chapter 17

Miss Maiden did not like the forest at all.  She shuddered to think of Marcie all alone in its depths. Even the walk to her cottage was unpleasant enough having to cross through the trees for the mile or so before coming to the clearing. 

To live so alone and isolated could not be good for the spirit.

Word travelled quickly in the village, no secret a secret for long. 

As soon as Marcie's father had come tearing through the village in a rare moment of sobriety to get help for his daughter, Miss Maiden had put aside her fear of the forgotten forest and gone to see her. It had been awful to see Marcie so weak and unaware, she had trembled and burned with fever, some moments she had cried out and whimpered intelligible things. But The Witch had been summoned, she had marched into Marcie's home and within hours Marcie looked better.

Miss Maiden had stayed by her side until The Witch ordered her home to regain sleep and Luce Barman's wife had promised to send word if her condition changed. The latest news was that Marcie was conscious and on the road to recovery, Luce was happy enough to return home and wait for the birth of her child so Miss Maiden knew Marcie must be well, she thanked the Goddess with every step she took.

Junca, Marcie's father was dozing on a chair outside the cottage, probably banished there by Dafne, his leg was propped up on another chair in front of him but apart from that he looked better than he had in years. True, their were lines around his eyes and mouth that should not be so prominent for one so young, but his hair was neatly combed and tied back in a short tail, and his cloths were clean, a dark shirt over loose trousers and a walking stick lay next to him.

She walked by him as quietly as she could but her efforts to not wake him were ruined by The Witch Dafne opening the door of the cottage, her sharp eyes pierced Miss Maiden and made her feel like a naughty child doing something she shouldn't have. Despite herself she stopped in her tracks as though asking permission to go somewhere she had every right to go, no one questioned Dafne, she was too fierce.

The Witch merely snorted then turned her gaze to Junca, she stepped out of the door way and slammed the door a little harder than was necessary. Junca jumped to his feet looking around wildly, his eyes were not at all bloodshot as she had gotten used to instead they were clear and concerned.

"She's fine you fool, so back to sleep" Dafne snapped at him uncaring that it was her who woke him up. Junca dropped his head and muttered a thank you, to Miss Maiden he nodded his head then sagged back into the chair and within minutes was snoring again. The Witch tutted and waved Miss Maiden inside,

"You come at a good time Missy, ize jus bout t get me some more herbs, you can give Marcie a bath, she bloody well needs one" Dafne strode over to the fire place and took off a pan of water and poured it into a large basin, which steamed. The inside of the cottage was warm and cozy, despite the weak early winter sun that was working its way through the windows, the candles were lit and their was a perfume to the air. The Witch muttered some words in the old language and sprinkled more herbs into the basin, rubbing them between her fingertips to release the juices, the water turning a faint pink colour.

Marcie was sitting up on the bed wrapped in a white sheet, she was still a little pale and her eyes had dark shadows under them, but the change in her condition was so improved that Miss Maiden could forgive lack of colour, she even managed a small smile. Miss Maiden hurried over to her, she put her hand to her forehead and felt for a temperature,

"How are you feeling, are you any better, has there been any changes in your condition, have you eaten-" she paused for breath at which point Dafne interrupted,

"Donna drown er in stupid questions Missy, you jus gonna exhaust er an yerself, leave er be" she dumped some more herbs into the basin, "I be leavin now, send word if anythin happens" She paused, "Not that it will."