Chapter 5

Merrick came later that evening when Marcie was at home, the sun was just setting over the trees and the sky was a beautiful blend of pink and orange. Smoke curled from the chimney and the air was thick with the smell of the rabbit stew Marcie had left to simmer.

Marcie was chopping wood around the back of her house. She lifted the axe above her head, the muscles in her arms gave only a small protest to the familiar movement and weight, she brought the axe down and it split the wood down the middle landing with a thunk in the chopping block.

She had raised the axe above her head to bring it down again when the squeak of boots on grass make her pause. Merrick came round the corner, his mop of golden curls flopped around his dimpled cheeks, his scrawny hands were shoved deep in the pockets of his trousers, head was bent. He shuffled his feet nervously. He always seemed nervous these days.

Many girls in the village took a shine to Merrick as soon as they saw him, it was not because he was handsome, although he was fairly good looking, it was that his goodness showed on his face, he seemed to radiate happiness and enthusiasm that was incredible infectious, the 'Glow' as Marcie called it was what made people want to be with him and made him have no end of suitors and girls hanging to his every word.

Marcie was sweating just enough to stave off the evening chill but Merrick was shivering slightly. She left the axe stuck in the wood block and ushered him towards the house

She gathered the wood in her arms on the way and made for the door, "Make yourself useful and help me carry some in would ya" she said as she passed, he picked the rest of the wood up without a word and trooped after her.

She spent her time carefully arranging the wood into an organised pile next to the fire, when she turned back she found the he had made himself comfortable at the table.

She went and sat opposite him, she propped her chin on her hand and tapped the fingers of her other hand on the wood, waiting for him to speak. When he didn't she decided to break the silence.

"So, what are you doing here?"

He shrugged and started tracing a stain on the table.

"Luce sent you"

Another shrug

"She is not my mother" Marcie said

"She feels that she is"

"Well she's not"

"You should not upset her" he said quietly, "Not with the baby coming."

"Is she all right" she asked, her annoyance tinged with concern. Luce had lost a child not long ago. The whole village had grieved with her.

"She is well"

Marcie relaxed, but Merrick still looked unhappy. She reached over the table and covered his hand with her own, giving it a squeeze,

"I'm sure she will be fine. I do care for her, I love her and I do not wish to make her worry."

Merrick finally smiled, a little of the 'Glow' coming back into his face, "She loves you too, not enough to leave you alone when you want her too but enough that she wants what best for you"

"And if I know what's best for me?" Marcie countered, then threw her hands up, "enough, I do not wish to talk or think about this anymore" she covered his hand with her own again.

They sat holding each others hands for a while, Merrick finally straightened letting go of her hand and blushing, "Is that rabbit stew I smell" he said, indicating the pot over the fireplace.

Marcie smiled and spooned out two portions of the soup for them both, leaving a little for her father.