" 2

2004

I have a best friend named Carter. We do everything together. Calling him my best friend is an understatement because he is my brother. He means everything to me.

One time, he told me one day he's going to leave. As a six year old I did not completely understand. I mean, everyone leaves eventually, it's up to them to come back. In this case, he promised me he would but he just doesn't know when.

Right now we are back where we left off before. This thought runs my mind. What does Carter mean when he once told me that he would leave? I still don't get it.

He is aside me right now, rockling on this weird playground contraption, I think it's a see saw. I look at him and I know I love him so much. But I don't want him to leave.

"We have lots of memories Carter! Do you remember when we met. We're suppose to be best friends forever!" I squeal, causing him to fall off of the other end. "Sowwy Carter!"

"Okay here's a deal, let's get those cell phones so when I am gone we will talk forever and always be best friends." Carter offers. Together we walk around, yes we are only six years old but our babysitter is almost sixteen, she's busy talking on her phone so we tell her that we are going for a small walk to the store next to the grocery store. It has something to do with the letters m-o-b-i-l-e. She nods in approval, shooing us away.

Carter and I walk in hand in hand because we always needed a buddy when walking because if we didn't, it wouldn't be safe.

"Hi I'm Carter. I want a two phones please." Carter claims with a boost of happiness which makes the lady behind the counter giggle, "Aren't you a bit young, sweetie?"

"N-no ma'am I am seven years old and he's six, we are in first grade and I am sure I'm not that young!" Carter laughs. I tug his arm and whispers, "It's not working!"

Carter tells me it's okay and he has a plan. And I agree and trust him because he is my best friend, my older brother.

"One.." "Two." "Three!" I shout as I run and hop over their counter cuddling the worker. She lift me up into her arms, over her shoulder I see Carter running away with two phones in boxes that were from the counter I'm sitting on. "Bye bye!" I tell her and a worker in the corner before jumping to meet Carter.

He is waiting for me at the corner of the grocery store that we told our baby sitter that we would be at. "Yay gimme one!" I exclaim, taking a phone from his reach. "I'll call you." Carter tells. "But.. I don't know your number."

With an instant, something starts ringing.

"What's that?" I ask.

Something or someone towers over me unless the clouds are turning grey.

We both look up and see sirens flashing from two cop cars and our babysitter and my mom stepping out of her car, holding onto the door before making eye contact with me. "MATTHEW LEE ESPINOSA!"

I cringe in fear, knowing we did something terribly wrong. "Carter! You basically stole from the phone store!"

"You what?!" My baby sitter yells. "Look, I didn't know where you boys went so I had to call your mom but I guess in this exact spot they filed a robbery." She huffs.

My mom opens her arms for me and our babysitter picks up Carter. I guess we're going back into the store to give an apology.

"Do we have to return them?" I ask my mom. "Honey, they aren't even registered under a plan." I sigh not knowing what that means but all I know is that, if Carter is going to be gone, there's no way to contact him anymore.

One thing that makes me glad is that for the past week, Carter has been with me and my mom and my babysitter. His parents said they were busy, they haven't seen him in a week.

"Mom. When will Carter's parents come back?" I ask only to see her exchange glances with our baby sitter. "Well, you see...-" I cut her off, "Why can't we go to Carter's house anymore either? I miss it there."

Nobody responds to me. I may only be six but I know a lot and something makes me sad. Carter is leaving but he doesn't have his family right now. I don't know where he's going but I hear he's leaving tomorrow. This is why we tried getting a phone today.

The only words that seem to be appearing today are the ones 'leaving' and 'why' but I can't help but wonder.

We get into the car with mom and babysitter. It is silent. I feel like Carter knows some stuff but doesn't want to tell me.

"How will we keep contact." I am so afraid to loose Carter but my mom gives me a suggestion. "Sweetie, I will give all of Carter's family members my phone number, if anything, you two can talk." It's an amazing idea that makes my heart flutter!

We arrive at my home but my mom tells me to help being Carter's luggage down as she will talk to Carter about something privately.

It's not good to leave a little boy wondering about things, especially knowing that I have to get my best friends clothes and toys out of my room without knowing where it will be now.

Its not much, just a crazy duffle back that I have to drag down along with a back pack that has his favorite teddy bear's head sticking out of. He names it Lee. My middle name.

I am welcomed downstairs by a bunch of cheers and happiness, but inside, it's not how I feel at all. I could hear Carter laughing- how does he feel like that when he's leaving me.

Carter's parents are here and my only instinct is to jump into their arms. "Hi! Hi! Hi! Welcome back I missed you." They are like my aunts and uncles, I love them as much as I love my own mom and Carter.

"Say your goodbyes, kids." my mom sighs.

Carter pulls me outside as his parents walk out as well, and for my mom, she was heading towards the kitchen along with babysitter.

He grabs my two hands and makes me look up at him since he was sort of taller. "I'll see you eventually. It's never a goodbye okay buddy!" He hugs me so tight, tighter than he ever had before. It's one of those where you know someone doesn't have to let go but there's someone behind both of you two, pulling you apart.

"Love you Carter." I whisper opening the door of his family. He gets his backpack and unzips it. "Here have my friend."

I want to cry but like he said, we'll never say goodbye and I trust him.

I stand and wave at his parents who tell me politely to go inside the house now. Although they said so, I didn't listen. Even though I always listen to them as much as I do with my mom, but right now is not the time.

The street lights start to turn on one by one. I look at the car until it is no longer in my sight. Now here I am under this single dim streetlight as I watch my other half leave.

Footsteps behind me anchor myself to turn around. "Hey mommy." I sigh. She tells me I deserve the truth, she tells me it may hurt but it's worth knowing, she tells me if you love someone you set them free, if they come back they love you just as much.

"Carter moved to Florida."

[ July 12 10:23 pm ]