fourteen

michael

nearing the end of the day, i was getting more and more worried on how my dad is gonna react when he see's me.

as calum and i lay down on his bed in his sister guest bed, i couldn't stop thinking about that. he laid down on my chest as i played with his fluffy hair.

"and i," he looks up and sees i'm not listening, "michael what's up?"

"nothing." i down at him, not convincing him. "you look like something is bothering you. don't lie to me i can see right through you right now." he says as he props himself on his elbows.

i hesitate before i start. "when i was leaving the house my mum was yelling at me to get back in. obviously i didn't go back, but if i do i'm scared on what's gonna happen." i stopped playing with his hair and started picking at the end of my shirt.

"if you don't want to face them, you can spend the night with me and sneak into you're house i guess. i mean if you don't want to-"

"calum shut up, i'll stay the night."

he smiles and lays his head down on my chest.

"what do you wanna do tomorrow?"

"well i have school tomorrow," i said in a 'duh' tone.

"no! i don't want you to leave." calum pouted. "and i don't wanna leave you but i don't have a choice." i sighed. after i said that, it was complete silence. it wasn't an awkward silence though. it was more like a comfortable silence.

suddenly after a couple of minutes, i heard quiet little snores. i looked down and saw calum, who was asleep, cuddling to my side. i squirmed around slightly not to wake him up. then i heard a faint, "goodnight mikey."

"goodnight cally."

-

calum

i felt dizzy, my throat was closing up, i was badly shaking, i wanted to scream.

"calum, calum, calum!" i heard someone say. my eyes shot open, thankful the nightmare was over. "what happened? you were crying and shaking screaming someone's name." michael asks worriedly.

i glanced up at him and started crying. he pulls me to his chest, rubbing my back. "m-my mum, gone, a-a-and my dad," i couldn't speak correctly.

"sh, sh, you don't need to tell me, just steady your breathing." he said softly. i attempted but couldn't. "follow my breaths." he instructed and i followed calming my breathing.

i felt my eyelids becoming heavy, and slowly let them drop. before i fell asleep, i swore i heard someone that sound like michael say,

"i love you calum."