Part two

Dean P.O.V.

"Dean! Dean! I'm not going to school, I'm sick!" My six year old sister wrapped her arms around my legs before I eased her off and crouched down to her level. With dark brown eyes and a similar pigment for her hair colour, you could definitely tell she was part of the Dobbs family. Me and my younger brother followed suit, since we all inherited the features from our mother.

"Really? What's wrong Scar?"

"I've been sick and I've got a headache," she pouted and I smiled back her. I was closest to her in the family, but that was probably because I was her main carer for a few years while our mother suffered from depression after her husband left us. I pretty much looked after all us in that dark period, all our mum was buy food, wash clothes and pay the rent, and I did everything else. It was pretty tough doing it alone at a mere 10 years old, but I learnt a lot more than others did at my age, but it explained why I was told that I was a lot more mature and wise beyond my years. I no longer had to take control since my mother was better and near enough back to herself, but that was probably due to the medication she had been prescribed. I still did as much I could around the house though so that I didn't become out of practice of it in fear that my mother would slip back into the shadow she once was.

"Go back to bed Scar, does mum know?"

"Yep, and she said to take Daniel to school with you," Daniel was only two years younger than me, making him 12 and in Year 7 at school. We were both starting at a new one, halfway through the school year. This one was a bit further than the last, but since Dan was having bullying problems, I thought it would be best if I transferred us to another.

"Alright, go back to bed and bring you back a comic after school okay?" She nodded eagerly and I hugged her before she ran upstairs. I loved my sister and was extremely protective over her. "Dan! Are you ready yet? We're going to be late!" I called. Moments later he came down, the stairs creaking beneath his step. He gave me a small smile which I think was to try and cover his nerves, but I could see right through him and knew he was terrified.

I avoided the subject of school as we walked there, but the only responses he gave were grunts and one worded sentences. I kept talking to him though so that he wouldn't travel too far with his thoughts in case he got himself worked up and refused to go in. I feared things would be the same like they were before with me holding him while he cried at every night before he slept, but I was certain things would be better at this school, or at least, that's what I told myself. The previous school hadn't been so great for me either, but I was just the invisible one who lost friends since I had a lot more responsibility and much less time to talk and hang out. Not that I minded being busy; being occupied meant I couldn't think and I didn't like thinking since it always seem to take me back to my childhood years.

"Dan, if you have any problems just come straight to me, okay? Meet me over at break and lunch," I said pointing to a tree which stood proudly outside the school.

"Yeah," he muttered. I led us to the reception and suddenly everyone looked menacing and much, much taller. After taking mostly after our mother, both Daniel and I were cursed with the short gene so were both quite below average when it came to height. This is where the main source of teasing had come from for Dan as they used it to their advantage and made it his weakness. I felt sick when I remembered when he told me how he was treated at school and the guilt of me not protecting him still sat in my stomach.

The receptionist looked far into her sixties, making me question if she knew how to work the modern technology around her. She looked friendly enough though and I walked up to the desk, Daniel trailing behind. 

"Uhh, excuse me?" I tried to be as polite as I could but I wasn't sure if there was anyway to interrupt someone politely. She looked up, wrinkles lightly etched into her face but more dominant around the ends of her pale lips as she smiled at me.