The Prince and the Slave Chapter One

Chapter One

The Prince sighed and sank further down into his chair as his Mother thanked the grovelling man leaving the room. It was his 18th birthday, and the celebrations were nearly at a close, apart from the one task he dreaded most of all – present giving.

As the Crown Prince of Angrakor, when it was his birthday the citizens would come in their droves to lay gifts at his feet, each one more extravagant and pointless as the last, as they all tried to out-do each other and gain his favour.

“William, at least try to look grateful”, his Mother could never understand her son's foul mood when it came to birthdays. She always loved being the centre of attention, whereas her son was happier out of the spotlight, and there wasn't much place to hide on your birthday.

“Don't worry son, there's just one more person for you to sit through.” his Father tried to comfort him.

“Yes, then you can go and hide in your dark pit of self-pity, poor little princey-wincey” mocked Georgiana from the other end of the line of thrones.

Although he had no other siblings, his Father had taken in Lady Georgiana as his ward when her parents died about 10 years earlier. Although on the surface she seemed as sweet and lovely as a princess should be, underneath she was, well, William didn't really care, he just didn't like her, and she didn't like him either.

“Now, now Georgiana, it is his Birthday, leave the poor boy alone. And send in our last visitor” His Mother signalled for the guard to let the final citizen into the throne room.

The large oak doors oened and an equally large, stoat man strode in. He bowed deeply and addressed the whole room, despite the fact there were only the four royals present.

“Your Majesties, Your Highness. May I wish you a happy Birthday and a thousand happy returns” he boomed.

“Thank you, Mr Atchiko” Mr Atchiko was an odious man in the Prince's book, but a successful merchant in the nearby town. The only problem was, his main business was that of slaves, and William didn't dare think what kind of gift the man would think appropriate for him.

“No, thank you, Your Highness. And as this is a very special anniversary for you, the year you become a man, I have for you an equally special gift” He clicked his fingers and another two men strode through the door. One of them was holding a piece of rope, which he handed to Mr Atchiko. What William couldn't believe – or perhaps did, just didn't want to – was what was on the other end of the rope.

The girl stood with her shoulders hunched and her head down, her long auburn hair covering her face. She was dressed in rags and had nothing on her feet, which were muddy and cracked. Her hands were bound together with another piece of coarse rope, that was attached to the piece her master was holding. She looked no older than 16.

“She is just for you, Your Highness. Your own personal slave to do with as you please. And believe me, she will do whatever you wish”

Williams stomach turned at the way he said that final part, and he could see the girl start shaking.

“I...er...I don't know what to say”

“There is no need, Your Highness. She is yours.” He bowed once again before turning to the girl. “Bow before your new master” She paused for a moment and looked up, her large brown eyes meeting William's. “I said BOW!” Atchiko screamed at her, and kicked the back of her legs with such force she cried out in pain as she fell to the floor, prostrating before the prince.

The Royals gasped in shock and William jumped to his feet. He felt strangely protective of this poor slave girl, and wanted to get her as far away from the slave trader as possible.