The Prince and the Slave Chapter Twenty-Three

Chapter Twenty-three 

Abey loved it when the King and Queen threw a Ball like this one. She had spent most of her life in filthy cells or locked in bare rooms, so being able to walk around in the splendour and magnificence of the main Ball Room was one of the best experiences she could have.

She made her way through the room, a tray of drinks in one hand, pausing and bowing as visiting Royals and members of nobility took a glass from her.

She scanned her eyes across the room, finding William stood with a gaggle of pretty young Ladies, all trying to captivate his attention. None of them succeeded in prying his focus away from the dark-haired slave over at the other end of the room, though none of them seemed to realise and carried on regardless. Abey looked over at him just as he turned his gaze to her. She laughed as he pulled a grimace at her.

He'll be hating every second of this. She smiled to herself. I bet he can't wait until it's all over.

“Well, well, well. What have we here?” Abey froze as she recognised the sinister voice just behind her. She turned her head slowly, catching sight of the man's smirking face, then quickly turned back. She could feel her breathing become shallow and sweat begin to form on her forehead as the panic set in. It was definitely him.

“Imagine seeing you here!” The voice said incredulously. Abey swallowed and didn't reply. “So how did you end up in a place like this?” She heard him ask, feeling him take a step closer towards her.

“I-I was given to the Prince as his Personal Slave” She stammered. “Sir.” She quickly added on the end, wishing she could be anywhere but standing where she was.

“Personal Slave, eh?” The man said, each word dripping with sleaze. “We really have gone up in the world, haven't we?” Abey flinched and stifled a whimper as he began to trace a long, cold finger up and down her arm, leaning down and whispering into her ear. “I'm sure we can still find time for...old friends though, can't we?”

“I have to go!” Abey suddenly burst out, unable to be near him anymore. She pushed her way through the crowd and onto a small balcony leading from one of the large window-doors, leaving her tray of drinks on a table inside.

She flung herself to the balustrade and realised she had stopped breathing. She started gulping down lungfuls of air and tried to stop herself from being sick.

Why is he here? Why him? Why here? She screamed in her head. A hand gently touched her shoulder, and she span around, panic flooding into her eyes, calming down when she saw William looking at her, nothing but concern on his face.

“Abey, are you alright? What's the matter?” He asked her.

“Nothing. Nothing.” She said, forcing a smile and blinking back the tears that were threatening to spill from her eyes. “I just needed some air”

“I know how you feel” William sighed, rubbing his palm on is forehead and leaning against the balustrade next to her, looking out over the gardens. Abey turned around again and faced the same way. She was safe as long as William was there. He would never hurt her. He wasn't like him. She tried to stop herself, but couldn't help thinking back...

He mentioned for the door to be closed behind her as she was pushed into the room. She quickly bowed at her Master's feet.

You wanted to see me, Master?”

You don't need to stay on the floor like that. Come up here, sit next to me”

She did as she was told and sat next to her Master on the edge of his large bed. She had never been called into her Master's private chambers and didn't know what he could have summoned her for.