The Prince and the Slave Chapter Two

Chapter Two

“Are you hungry?” William asked as he placed the bowl of water back on the dresser.

“I don't need-”

“When was the last time you ate?” He said crouching back in front of her.

“About four days ago” She said quietly.

“WHAT?!” Abey felt her entire body tense at his anger.

“I'm sorry, sir. Please, it's fine-” William's anger fell away as he saw the terror flood back into her eyes.

“Wait, you think I'm angry at you?” He asked, trying to stop her shaking.

“Are-aren't you?” She stuttered, before swallowing nervously.

“Why would I be angry at you?” William took her hands once again and frowned up at her. “I'm angry at the monster that didn't feed you for four days.”

“So you're not angry at me?” Abey whispered.

“No!” William laughed, how could this girl possibly think he'd be angry at her for being starved for over half a week? “Now, I'm going to send for some food for you, okay?”

Abey nodded as more tears started to roll from her eyes.

“Hey, hey, why are you crying?”

“It's just, no-one's ever been this nice to me before” She said as she wiped her cheeks, the first proper smile spreading across her face.

“Well, get used to it” He chuckled as he stood and went to the door. He opened it and called over another servant - or possibly another slave, Abey couldn't tell – and asked for some food and drinking water to be sent up, along with some blankets. He turned around and came back into the room, closing the door behind him, sighing and running his hand through his dark hair. He smiled at the girl sat awkwardly on the edge of his bed. He wasn't sure what he was going to do with her, he didn't really want a slave, but he couldn't send her back to that man. He resolved to look after her for tonight and decide a plan in the morning.

Abey didn't really know what to do, so she just stayed where she was. She had learnt to not do anything unless she was told to, and although she didn't think the Prince would punish her as severely as her past masters, she still didn't want to take the chance.

She kept her head bowed, but peered through her hair at the Prince as he sorted and cleared things around the room, taking the crown off his head and placing it next to the bowl of water. It was the first time she had managed to have a proper look at her new master.

She had met the Prince in person once before, but he had barely spoken two words to her and it had been years ago. He didn't even remember her, and she had never seen him since. She had heard many times, however - from the gossipy ladies in the houses she worked in - about how handsome the Prince was, and she knew that those same gossips would have done anything to be this close to him like as she was now. He was tall and slim, and had dark, wavy hair that Abey thought looked like it needed cutting, it would fall into his eyes and he was constantly running his hands through it to move it back. He also had those piercing grey eyes, that seemed confused and concerned at that present moment in time.

Most importantly though, he seemed kind, which was something Abey was not accustomed to, and she wasn't sure how to react to it.

William turned to face her and looked as if he was about to say something when there was a light knock at the door. He answered it and brought in a tray piled high with food, as well as two large glasses and a jug of water.

“Here we are” He said as he set the tray down on the bed and climbed behind it, sitting cross-legged on the covers. He laughed as he saw Abey's eyes widen at the tray beside her. “Well don't wait, dig in!”

“I can't” She murmured, mesmerised. “This is too good for me” The tray was filled with all kinds of breads and cakes, meats and fruits, some that she had never even seen before.

“Well at least have something to drink” He poured her a large glass of water and handed it to her, then laughed as she quickly downed the whole drink in one gulp. “You must eat something, Abey. Don't make me force you...” He said with a mischievous smile. Abey's head shot up and he could see the panic start to infect her face. “I was joking! Honest.” He was glad to see her relax a little. “But please, eat.” She started to shake her head. “I'll eat some too. Then it won't just be you, how does that sound?”

She nodded and William passed her a roll of bread. He watched as she took one small, careful bite, before devouring the whole thing in what seemed like mere seconds. They ate in silence, until nearly everything had gone.

“I'm sorry we were not more prepared for your arrival. You were a little sprung upon us I'm afraid.” William said, running his hand through his hair again.

“You don't need to apologise. You've done nothing but care for me since I got here. I don't know how I'll ever be able to repay you.”

“No, it was the least I could do. After seeing how that man treated you...it made me feel like I had to protect you” William stared into his hands as he spoke. He had never opened up like this to anyone before, he was famous for being secretive and reserved, yet he felt like he could tell this girl anything. It was a strange and unfamiliar sensation, to say the least.

“You don't have to protect me, I can look after myself. You don't have to go to any trouble over me...” He could feel she was looking at him, and was being genuine in her pleas. He turned to face her and smiled, seeing his face reflected in her large dark eyes.

“No. But I want to” He stared at her for a second, before looking away and standing. “You're going to sleep in here with me tonight. Like I said, we weren't exactly prepared for you, so you'll have to sleep on the chaise-lounge for now. I've had some blankets brought up for you so you should be comfortable enough. Is that alright?”

“You don't have to do that. I usually just sleep on the floor-”

“You are not sleeping on the floor. You are a person, not a dog. We'll find you a proper bed to sleep in tomorrow.

“Thank you” He turned and smiled at her. He could here the sincerity in her thanks, like no-one had ever told her she was a person before. She stayed where she was, and William realised she hadn't moved from her spot on the end of his bed the entire time she'd been there.

“It's late. We should go to sleep. We'll sort everything out tomorrow.” He walked over to her and stood her up, his hands on her shoulders. “Just know that you are safe here. As long as you are in my care you will always be safe here”

Abey thanked him again and bowed, before going to chaise-lounge and settling down to sleep. William went through the wash room that led from his room and changed into his nightclothes, before getting into bed himself. He extinguished the candles and fell asleep looking at the new slave girl sleeping peacefully, and safely - at last, in the corner.