The Prince and the Slave Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter Twenty-four 

He was pretty sure where he'd be able to find her, and heard her sobbing violently as he tentatively entered their chambers. He scanned his eyes around the room before he saw her.

The window-doors were open and swinging in the cold wind as Abey sat in the corner of the small balcony, her arms wrapped around her legs and her head in her knees, her small frame shaking uncontrollably.

William slowly walked out on to the balcony and crouched down in front of her. He didn't dare touch her, not after what had just happened.

“Abey? It's me, William” He said softly, getting no response. He paused a moment before speaking again. “Will you talk to me?” Abey just continued to sob, rocking gently back and forth as she did so, not even lifting her head. “Will you at least come inside?” William pleaded. “It's freezing out here, and I think there's a storm coming”

He still had no response, so carefully put one arm under her legs and the other round her shoulders, picking her up and slowly carrying her inside, placing her down on his bed before closing the windows, locking them tight. He sat back down next Abey and put both his arms around her, hugging her tight. She buried her face into his shoulder and continued to weep.

He rocked her gently, shushing and stroking her hair. “It's alright” He told her, his voice threatening to break “You're alright now”. Gradually Abey started to calm down, until she had stopped crying, only letting out the occasional sniff or whimper.

“So are you going to tell me what's going on? Why you're like this?” He coaxed her once he was sure she would be able to answer. Abey didn't say anything but he felt her shake her head and bury herself closer into his shoulder. “Please, Abey. Why won't you tell me?”

She gulped and slowly lifted her head out of his shoulder. “I-I can't.” She stammered, the words barely audible. “You'll hate me.” She said, another sob forming in her throat.

William quickly put his hand on the side of her face, trying to get her to look at him. “Why would I hate you? You know that's not possible” He tried to convince her, but she shook her head and looked away. “Please...” He tried on more time.

Abey didn't turn to look at him, and stayed staring at the floor in front of her. “Alright.” She said in a tiny voice, closing her eyes and taking a deep breath. “Just...try not to despise me too much after what I tell you”

William couldn't understand what could she could have done that was so terrible, and why she was so convinced he would shun her. Abey took another deep breath as she began her story.

“I know I've told you about my life, about how I became a slave.” She started. William nodded but didn't interrupt, he wasn't going to until she had finished. “And about all my past Masters, and how they treated me; but I didn't tell you everything, not about what they had me do.

It started just a few months after I was bought by Atchiko. I must have been about Isabelle's age, even a year younger – I'm not sure - and I'd started being...rented out, like I told you. I'd had a few Masters for a couple of weeks, mainly helping with the chores no-one else wanted to do. The dirty or hard work that they could pawn off on to someone like me, then beat me for their own entertainment. But I never had to do anything else, nothing...

Then I was rented by Sir Jameson. That's when it all changed. At first, I couldn't believe my luck. He was kind and treated me well. He didn't beat me unless I deserved it, and he made me see him as a friend, an ally, more than a Master.

I'd been there just over a week when he called me into his Private chambers. He said he wanted to...talk to me. But he didn't want to talk. He wanted something else. That's when he...when he made me...” Abey suddenly rocked forward and put her head between her knees, then sat back up taking a huge breath.