The Prince and the Slave Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen 

It was reaching early evening by the time William arrived back at the Castle, and he went straight to his chambers, hoping that Abey would already be there. He pushed the door open and was disappointed to see the room empty. He ran his hand through his hair as he sighed and flopped onto his bed, lying on his back staring at the ceiling.

Soon enough, Abey bustled through the door, and was happily surprised when she saw the Prince had returned. “Hello! I didn't realise you were back” She said brightly, her good mood changing to annoyance when he only grunted in return, then to concern as she remembered where he had been that day. “How was it?” She asked softly, taking her shoes off and placing them by her bed.

“Will you come and lie here with me?” She heard him ask in a defeated voice. Abey moved over to the Prince's bed and climbed up next to him, laying her head on his shoulder as he put an arm around and leant his head on hers.

“Was it that bad?” She half-joked, trying to lighten the mood but knowing the answer he would give.

“Worse” Was all he replied. Abey didn't know what else to say, she didn't exactly want to relive her experience herself, and so instead rolled over onto her side, putting a hand on William's chest as he put his other arm around her.

“They were all...starving.” He said after a pause. “He told me he'd fed some of them that day but most hadn't had anything to eat for days” He frowned.

“He'll have fed the men he was going to sell soon.”

“What?” William hadn't expected her to answer, and not in such a matter-of-fact manner.

“He'll have fed the men he was going to sell soon. It's common practice amongst traders.” She explained. “When people want a male slave it's usually for some kind of manual labour or heavy work, so they want someone strong and useful, not weak and submitting. So they feed the men up just before they're sold, to make them more easy to sell.”

“But what about the women?” William thought back to the slave house, and to the poor woman next to the little girl, she had been close to dying when he had first seen her.

“It's the opposite with women. For what we're usually used for, they want us obedient and submissive. You don't want us able to fight back.” She said in the same monotone. William didn't want to think what they were 'usually used for', and didn't really like her classing herself one of the slaves – he hadn't thought of her like that for a very long time, and thought she had stopped too. “The traders will only feed a female slave when she's more or less dying, only when it's necessary.” She continued. “It makes us weaker, and then you can do whatever you like with us because we don't have the energy to complain.”

“That's terrible.” William said, taken aback at all she had just said.

“I know. But that's how it is” She said. They lay in silence for a few seconds, thinking back to their past experiences in the slave house.

“Did Atchiko favour you?” William suddenly asked. Abey wasn't prepared for the question and just stuttered.

“I-I...I don't know...I was valuable to him- but...No, not really. Why do you ask?” She frowned, trying to make sense of the question.

“It's just because, when you first arrived here, there was barely a mark on you. There were a couple of old bruises and cuts but nothing too drastic. Yet today, it seemed like everyone in the place was beaten on a regular basis.” He quickly said, he had been wondering about it ever since he first saw how severe the marks on the people in the cell were compared to that first time he had met Abey.

“They will be. Daily. I know I was.” She replied, reverting back to her business monotone. “I was something of Atchiko's personal punching bag. Why do think my back is so badly damaged? But he didn't beat me at all the week leading up to being given to you. I guess he wanted me to be as appealing as possible to you, and that you might not like a common battered slave. So left me alone for those couple of days.” she finished. William couldn't understand how she could remain calm while explaining these horrors. It was as if she had disconnected herself from the world, and was simply watching herself with no emotion involved.

“How do you do it?” He asked, staring above him.

“Do what?”

“Say these things so...calmly, like you've just accepted them and given up”. He could feel his anger start to rise as he thought of all the injustices dealt not only to his love, but to all those people under Atchiko's control.

“Because I have. And if I didn't, it would overwhelm me and I wouldn't be able to do anything. To live.” She said. Small tears began to fill her eyes, which she quickly blinked back. She swallowed and squeezed her eyes shut, banishing the bad thoughts in her head. “Tell me everything that happened.” She said to William, a tone of defiance at the bad memories in her voice. She could tell that William needed to talk through everything, that he couldn't shut off the world like she could and pretend it didn't happen, and she needed a distraction.

She pulled herself closer to him as he began to describe everything that had happened, from arriving and looking around Atchiko's plush entrance, to the little girl – Isabelle – and how he had managed to get all the people a decent meal, to threatening Atchiko if he laid a hand on any of them that night.

“I won't be able to send anyone in the morning, but I hope the threat alone may have saved them for one night at least” He explained.

“I'm glad” Abey replied, a small smile on her lips.

“I just wish I could have taken them all, saved them from that place permanently.” William sighed.

“That wouldn't be practical or possible” Abey said looking up at him. “Besides, you are saving them. In a way. Remember that”. She sighed and closed her eyes, laying her head on William's chest, listening to his steady heart beat. He pulled her closer and traced his finger in a circle on the top of her arm.

“Will you sleep up here with me again tonight?” He asked quietly after a pause. “I don't want to be alone” He said, a sad tinge in his voice.

“Of course” Abey answered, sitting up and pushing his long hair off his forehead. “Just let me get changed and I'll be right back.” She carefully climbed off the bed and disappeared behind the screen. William stood up as well and changed into his nightclothes before getting back into his large bed.

After a minute, Abey reappeared and crawled under the covers, going back to the same position they had just been in.

“Goodnight William” She sighed softly, closing her eyes as he extinguished the candle.

“Goodnight” He breathed, stroking the back of her hair and kissing the top of her head, before putting his arms back around her and falling into a deep, and hopefully contented, sleep.