The Prince and the Slave Chapter Three

Chapter Three

William awoke the next morning to blazing sunlight coming through his window. From this he guessed it must be mid-morning, at least Ten O'clock. He rubbed his eyes and ran his hand through his hair as he tried to remember what had happened the night before, and whether it had all just been some kind of dream. He was almost surprised to see the slave girl sitting upright on the chaise-lounge in the corner of his room.

“Abey! Gosh, you frightened me then”

“I'm sorry sir, I didn't mean to-” He could here the panic creep into her voice.

“What are you sorry for?” He laughed, “It's me that forgot you were there. You need to stop worrying about upsetting me, alright?”

“Alright” She nodded from her spot.

“How long have you been sitting there for?” William asked as he sat himself up.

“Since dawn.”

“Dawn?!” William couldn't believe that she had sat there since dawn and waited for him to rise.

“Yes. I always get up at dawn. When I have tasks to do they always start early, and so I've learnt to always get up at sunrise”

William laughed and rolled out of bed. “Well I suppose I had better get up too, we have much to do today”

“Yes sir. What would you like me to do first?” Abey said, also standing.

“Er...first, you can go through to the wash room and run a hot bath. There should be plenty of hot water from the spring” The Castle was fitted with many new and rare features, one of which was a hot spring, which ran through each wash room and even the Castle kitchen.

Abey bowed and went through to the wash room, which was light and airy. She found the spring and the bucket next to it, and started to fill the large ceramic tub with hot water. When she was finished she went back through to the main room, to find the Prince fully dressed and about to leave.

“Your Highness, I...I drew you a bath” She said uncertainly.

“Good, good.” William said as he placed his crown on his head. “Well what are you waiting for?”

“What do you mean?”

“The bath is for you. Go, have a long soak, and when you come out there should be some new clothes laid out for you in here”

Abey just stared at the Prince. Surely he couldn't be saying she should bathe in his personal wash room? She was just a slave, a no-one, nothing, and yet here was the Prince treating her like a friend, an equal.

“Go on! I won't tell you again” he said with a smile as he went through the door, before turning around and adding “Oh, and meet me down in the throne room when you're dressed. Do you remember where it is? If not just ask anyone and they'll direct you. See you in a little while. Enjoy your bath, Abey” He grinned again. With that he shut the door and was gone.

After standing in a daze for felt like hours, Abey went back through to the wash room, and dipped her hand into the steaming water of the bath.

“This is mad” she said quietly to herself.

She quickly threw off her ragged dress and jumped into the tub before she could change her mind. The water was perfect and it felt divine as she let the water pour over her. She couldn't remember the last time she had had a bath like this, if at all, and she was determined to make the occasion last. She found a comb lying on the floor beside the tub and brushed her hair out, until all the tangles and matted dirt were gone. She scrubbed her face and her feet until there wasn't a speck of dirt on her, and then just lay in the soapy water until her fingers were wrinkled.