The Prince and the Slave Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

William awoke the next morning to find his bed empty apart from himself. He sat up in confusion and looked over to Abey's bed in the corner, which was empty also. He looked around, at a loss to where she had gone. She had been unable to even sit up last night, he doubted she'd be able to move much better this morning.

As he looked around he heard a faint humming coming from the wash room. Just as he was about to get out of bed and investigate, Abey bustled through the door, humming happily to herself, as if the events of yesterday were a long-forgotten dream.

“You're up very early this morning, William” Abey said cheerfully as she saw him looking at her with a mixture of confusion and disbelief. She smiled at him but winced and quickly stopped as she felt the stinging pain in the muscles of her face.

“Abey what are you doing?” William asked from where he was sat, as Abey continued to bustle about. 

“What I always do every morning” She replied, acting again as if nothing were different.

She can act all she likes, William thought. But she can't disguise it from her face.

The skin around her eye was black and bruised, and the cut in her lip was still a little swollen. There were two long red gashes running along her cheek, that William knew would take a long time to heal. Although he couldn't see, he also knew her ribs and her stomach would be badly bruised from Georgiana's onslaught, and although she tried not to show it, he could see she was finding it painful to walk.

“No, Abey, you should be resting” William said with a sigh as he climbed out of bed and stepped towards her, running his hand through his hair.

“Why? I'm fine” Abey said, jumping around a little too fast, causing her to wince again and hold her side.

“No you're not, look, you can barely walk. Sit down” He took hold of her wrist had sat her down next to him on the edge of his bed. He sighed and shook his head, running his hand through his hair again.

“What's the matter?” Abey questioned him.

He paused and closed his eyes. “I'm sorry”

“What for?”

“What Georgiana did to you yesterday-”

“Wasn't your fault” Abey interrupted, placing a hand on his hunched shoulder. “In fact, you were the one that stopped it. Who knows what she would have done if you hadn't arrived when you did.”

“I know but...” He sighed deeply once more

“But what?”

“I broke my promise. When you arrived here, one of the first things I said was 'As long as you are in my care you will always be safe here'. I promised I wouldn't let anyone hurt you and then it happens under my own roof. I should have been there to stop her attacking you in the first place. I should have known. I should have...I'm sorry” William hung his head and felt the shame and regret wash over him.

“Don't be sorry. What Georgiana did, it was nothing, honest. I've had much worse” Abey replied with a shrug.

“I highly doubt that” he answered, raising his head and looking back at her.

“I can show you. If you like.” Before William could say anything Abey stood up in front of him, standing with her back towards him. She moved her long hair over one shoulder to get a clear view and started to unbutton the top of her dress.

“Abey, what are you doing...” William trailed off as he saw what she was trying to show him.

“Pretty, isn't it?” she said wryly.